Subject: Heads up: Potential PostGIS breakage is coming

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 18:59:24 +0300

Hi,

I am about to push PostGIS 2.4.2-2 packages to 10-testing repos. Unlike the
other packages, the new packages will depend on proj49 (Proj 4.9) and geos36
(GeOS 3.6) packages, which installs to non-standard directories (/usr/proj49
and /usr/geos36, respectively), so won't conflict with the OS packages, but
will use recent versions of Proj and GeOS. With this change, we can introduce
GeOS 3.7 support to our repo, when it is released.

I read some reports about proj 4.8 reporting incorrect results, that triggered
this package process.

So, I will be happy if someone can test by enabling PG 10 testing repository,
and see if things are broken or not.

Thanks!

Regards,
 
-- 
Devrim Gündüz
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer
Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR

---

From: Daniel Farina <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 22:04:58 +0000

> and see if things are broken or not.
I think postgis is not dynamically linking properly to proj. It finds the
path fine when compiling, though. Perhaps it, like libproj49 itself in
relation to geos36, requires some ldconfig files.

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 22:08:14 +0000

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the feedback!

Can you please update the packages? I pushed a fix for this last week.

Regards, Devrim

-- 
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

---

From: Daniel Farina <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 22:11:36 +0000

> Can you please update the packages? I pushed a fix for this last week.

I saw that with regard to proj and geos, and I'm updated, but I think
postgis itself needs similar treatment.

=# create extension postgis;
ERROR:  could not load library "/usr/pgsql-10/lib/postgis-2.4.so":
libproj.so.12: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
=# \q
$ find /usr/ -name 'libproj.so.12'
/usr/proj49/lib/libproj.so.12

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 09:00:50 +0000

Hi Daniel,

> /usr/proj49/lib/libproj.so.12

Arrgh, /etc/ld.so.conf.d/proj49-pgdg-libs.conf is broken :-( I accidentally
added geos related lines there :( Sorry about that.

I did not catch this before, because I also had OS-supplied proj package :(

Pushed 4.9.3-3  to repos, they will be available in next 20 mins.

Regards,