Subject: libevent2 requirement in pgbouncer package (1.7.2-7) breaks install on Amazon Linux

From: Lukas Fittl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 17:15:35 -0700

Hi all,

It seems this recent change in the pgbouncer package breaks installation on
Amazon Linux:
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgrpms.git;a=blobdiff;f=rpm/redhat/master/pgbouncer/master/pgbouncer.spec;h=a43aa7912ca4ba99df961c4de51c71be8025a5d0;hp=e86c0c7ae26d6b5808ad6bc0e1a8c0facac52b83;hb=ea84a30659ba40e8eecb57bf43b804802f106ee4;hpb=f79f757b60b26e53a5fcbe8edd170da32125e5d5

The installation fails with:

Error: Package: pgbouncer-1.7.2-7.rhel6.x86_64 (pgdg95)
           Requires: libevent2 >= 2.0

Note that "libevent" seems to be the correct package for Amazon Linux:

libevent.i686                        2.0.21-4.19.amzn1            amzn-main

Amazon Linux is odd in that its initially RHEL 6 based, but nowadays has
slightly different packages.

Previously the pgbouncer package worked fine, so this seems like an
unfortunate regression due to the explicit requirement in the package
definition. Maybe this can be special cased in some way?

Thanks,
Lukas

-- 
Lukas Fittl

Skype: lfittl
Phone: +1 415 321 0630

---

From: Devrim Gündüz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 18:09:32 +0300

Hi Lukas,

I can fix this, if there is an RPM conditional for Amazon Linux. Can you please
create a ticket so that I don't forget?

https://redmine.postgresql.org/projects/pgrpms/issues/new

Regards, Devrim

On Thu, 2017-07-20 at 17:15 -0700, Lukas Fittl wrote:
> https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgrpms.git;a=blobdiff;f=rpm/redhat/maste
> r/pgbouncer/master/pgbouncer.spec;h=a43aa7912ca4ba99df961c4de51c71be8025a5d0;
> hp=e86c0c7ae26d6b5808ad6bc0e1a8c0facac52b83;hb=ea84a30659ba40e8eecb57bf43b804
> 802f106ee4;hpb=f79f757b60b26e53a5fcbe8edd170da32125e5d5
> 

-- 
Devrim Gündüz
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com
PostgreSQL Danışmanı/Consultant, Red Hat Certified Engineer
Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR

---

From: Lukas Fittl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 10:13:35 -0700

> https://redmine.postgresql.org/projects/pgrpms/issues/new

Of course, wasn't sure if the bug tracker was the right place to file
things - done now: https://redmine.postgresql.org/issues/2601

We've worked around with our own packages for now, but seems like this
could affect others. Let me know if you need anything tested, happy to help
(with my limited understanding of RPM packaging).

Thanks,
Lukas

-- 
Lukas Fittl

Skype: lfittl
Phone: +1 415 321 0630 <(415)%20321-0630>