Subject: postgres is slow on windows

From: Nazneen Mulani <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 11:19:36 +0200

#A description of what you are trying to achieve and what results you expect.:

I have installed Postgres 14 on my local laptop which is new hardware
given by organization.

HP EliteBook

Processor       13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1370P   1.90 GHz

Installed RAM   32,0 GB (31,6 GB usable)

System type     64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

OS : Windows 11 Enterprise

When I am running query on local database hosted on my laptop it run
very slow approx. 7 sec time it takes.

While Same replica db is present on server where Postgres 15 is being
used. The query execution time is 1 to 2 sec. I am running these
queries with DBeaver from laptop.

I wanted to understand what is the difference in windows postgres
setup which is causing this delay?

#PostgreSQL version number you are running: Postgres 14 on local windows OS.

#How you installed PostgreSQL: With the Organization Software Centre.

#Changes made to the settings in the postgresql.conf file*:  *

 Refer attachment

#Operating system and version: Windows 11 Enterprise

#What program you're using to connect to PostgreSQL: DBeaver

 #Is there anything relevant or unusual in the PostgreSQL server logs?: No

 #For questions about any kind of error: No

#What you were doing when the error happened / how to cause the error:

No at all, but I had run generet_series() on another schema to have
random data in tables.

Regards,
Nazneen

---

From: Jayadevan M <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 16:07:22 +0530

On Tue, Apr 2, 2024 at 2:54 PM Nazneen Mulani <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have installed Postgres 14 on my local laptop which is new hardware given by organization.
>
> HP EliteBook
>
> When I am running query on local database hosted on my laptop it run very slow approx. 7 sec time it takes.
>
>
>
> While Same replica db is present on server where Postgres 15 is being used. The query execution time is 1 to 2 sec. I am running these queries with DBeaver from laptop.
>
>
>
> I wanted to understand what is the difference in windows postgres setup which is causing this delay?
>
>
>
> No at all, but I had run generet_series() on another schema to have random data in tables.
>
>
> Regards,
> Nazneen
>
I would suggest comparing the query plan for both environments. -
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-explain.html

May be shared_buffers is high enough on the server and not so on your
laptop - just a guess.

Regards,
Jayadevan

---

From: Samed YILDIRIM <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 12:17:39 +0300

Hello Nazneen,

You compare two setups; one is PostgreSQL 14 on Windows and the other is
PostgreSQL 15 on Linux. It is really hard to make a fair comparison and
reach a conclusion. You, at least, need to have the same version of
PostgreSQL version on both environments. Ideally, both PostgreSQL setup
should be optimised for that specific environment and characteristics of
the workload. Then, it would be possible to compare them.

You can check what has been changed with PostgreSQL 15. You may want to
check specifically performance improvements. 🙂
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/release-15.html

Best regards.
Samed YILDIRIM