Subject: How to do things like \timing on in a do loop?

From: Shaozhong SHI <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 20:32:59 +0100

DO
$do$
declare

j int=1;

BEGIN

for j in 1..100 loop

\timing on

select * from a_table;

end loop;

end
$$;

It appears that \timing on is not allowed in a do statement.

Any alternative to do that in a do statement?

Regards,

David

---

From: Erik Brandsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 16:04:41 -0400

You can't, as \timing is not a postgres command.  It is a psql command, so
is not interpreted by the server itself.

---

From: hubert depesz lubaczewski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 11:21:35 +0200

> Any alternative to do that in a do statement?

Perhaps explain what you want to do, because from this snippet it is
(for me) definitely not clear.

You're mixing postgresql code (do blocks) and psql commands (\timing).
you're trying to get timing off select, but you're not telling the code
what to do with results of the select.

So, what is the end goal in here? And how will you run it? Via psql?
Some other db access?

depesz