Subject: PostgreSQL Objects design

From: kunwar singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 12:01:02 -0400

Hi Listers,
I want to learn more about Table/Columns/Indexes  design.

   - How big the columns should be?
   - How many number of columns should a table have at max?
   - How many rows a tables should have at max
   - What are size limitations of different data types

Any books, blogs , videos, courses that you recommend I go over?

I have been an Oracle DBA , but only from a support and tuning standpoint.
I have never done this kind of work before, even in Oracle. So interested
in learning in this area?

Any approach that will speed up my learning?

-- 
Cheers,
Kunwar

---

From: Steve Midgley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 09:25:01 -0700

> Any approach that will speed up my learning?

The Postgres docs, IMO, are astonishingly good.
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/ -- Not what I tend to expect from open
source projects, but there's a reason (again IMO) Postgres is the best
database solution ever built. Regarding your specific question here are the
current "hard" limits https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/limits.html

But recognize that the effective limits on your system are going to be
lower, and based on your available ram, disk, and other resources.

Stackoverflow might be a good place to understand more about these kinds of
limits. I'll say that for my use cases, I've never had to worry about
anything other than applying the right index or reworking my SQL statement
to solve a particular problem in Postgres. So I'd say try to learn about
various index techniques and how to use Postgres' SQL, as the starting
place to learn. I think EnterpriseDB has good resources for those coming
from Oracle as well..

Welcome to the light side!
Steve

---

From: "Wetmore, Matthew (CTR)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 18:40:57 +0000

Database Soup<http://www.databasesoup.com/>

Also, create an account and sign up for postgres listservs.

There are a couple to choose from.

From: Steve Midgley <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, April 20, 2023 11:25 AM
To: kunwar singh <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: PostgreSQL Objects design

On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 9:01 AM kunwar singh <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
Hi Listers,
I want to learn more about Table/Columns/Indexes  design.

  *   How big the columns should be?
  *   How many number of columns should a table have at max?
  *   How many rows a tables should have at max
  *   What are size limitations of different data types

I have been an Oracle DBA , but only from a support and tuning standpoint. I have never done this kind of work before, even in Oracle. So interested in learning in this area?

The Postgres docs, IMO, are astonishingly good. https://www.postgresql.org/docs/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.postgresql.org/docs/__;!!GFE8dS6aclb0h1nkhPf9!6C4JVrsyOZcfy2BUIj0tJYagWA4O3LrZKTl_06I2nwdJHvpLpmMWj1eMcUB1rksL4m9H79u0Kj_lT_YicP2UlpJi_q0MRQ$> -- Not what I tend to expect from open source projects, but there's a reason (again IMO) Postgres is the best database solution ever built. Regarding your specific question here are the current "hard" limits https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/limits.html<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.postgresql.org/docs/current/limits.html__;!!GFE8dS6aclb0h1nkhPf9!6C4JVrsyOZcfy2BUIj0tJYagWA4O3LrZKTl_06I2nwdJHvpLpmMWj1eMcUB1rksL4m9H79u0Kj_lT_YicP2UlpJ0XpDlbA$>

But recognize that the effective limits on your system are going to be lower, and based on your available ram, disk, and other resources.

Stackoverflow might be a good place to understand more about these kinds of limits. I'll say that for my use cases, I've never had to worry about anything other than applying the right index or reworking my SQL statement to solve a particular problem in Postgres. So I'd say try to learn about various index techniques and how to use Postgres' SQL, as the starting place to learn. I think EnterpriseDB has good resources for those coming from Oracle as well..