Subject: Pgadmin 4 cannot add or modify line in a view

From: intmail01 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2024 17:26:25 +0300

Hi,
I tried to modify and add manuallly a line in a view with pgadmin4 but the
interface doesnt allow it because cells are locked and no empty line to add
new one.
The same issues for Libreoffice Base interface.

If I do the operation with command UPDATE then it works well .
How to permit pgadmin4 to not lock the interface ?

I run postgresql 14.1.

Thanks

---

From: Usman Khan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2024 19:52:02 +0500

Can you please elaborate your requirement a bit more?
The result grid is usually non editable for views. You can edit table data
to reflect values in view.

Note : adding pgadmin-hackers for more guidance.

---

From: intmail01 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2024 21:01:16 +0300

I read the PostgreSQL manual and view can be modified if some rules are
respected. My query is very simple and follow rules : SELECT * FROM
thePartionedTable
When I run code with INSERT and UPDATE clause then it work fine.
In fact the view comes from a partitioned table. After an INSERT or UPDATE
I checked both source tables and they are well updated.

The reason why Pgadmin locks the array may  come from the fact there is no
defined primary key. My partitioned table have primary key.
I do not have any idea how to re-define again a primary key for a view.

Thanks

On Thu, May 30, 2024 at 5:52 PM Usman Khan <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> I tried to modify and add manuallly a line in a view with pgadmin4 but
>> the interface doesnt allow it because cells are locked and no empty line to
>> add new one.

---

From: Usman Khan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 00:07:15 +0500

Hi,
Kindly go through this document for more details about view being non
editable
https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/development/editgrid.html

On Thu, May 30, 2024 at 10:59 PM intmail01 <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> The result grid is usually non editable for views. You can edit table
>> data to reflect values in view.
>>

---

From: Steve Midgley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2024 14:40:19 -0700

On Thu, May 30, 2024 at 7:25 AM intmail01 <[email-masked]> wrote:

> This group supports the postgres sql language. I think some people here
might use pgadmin4 (I don't), but I think you'd be better served by the
pgadmin support list <https://www.pgadmin.org/support/list/> (and docs
<https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/latest/index.html>!).

Steve

---

From: Amitabh Kant <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 07:35:23 +0530

> <https://www.pgadmin.org/docs/pgadmin4/latest/index.html>!).

I assume you are talking about the table data view in pgadmin, rather than
the views supported by postgres SQL language. If that's the case, you might
be missing a primary key in your table.

---

From: Muhammad Ikram <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 11:21:12 +0500

Hi,

As mentioned above by Usman, you may add/change data via SQL Tool to view
or underlying table.
There seems to be an issue with PgAdmin, when we right click on *view under
Views *in the tree it shows option view/edit though actually it does not
allow to Add/Edit data.

Regards,
Ikram
Bitnine

-- 
Muhammad Ikram

---

From: intmail01 <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 18:33:01 +0300

Partitioned table is in fact a view with a 'WHERE' clause. I create a view
under a view.
But curiously I can modify the source table by applying INSERT or UPDATE
clause with sql code on the view. SQL code works, not GUI.
Thanks for all !

On Fri, May 31, 2024 at 9:21 AM Muhammad Ikram <[email-masked]> wrote:

> There seems to be an issue with PgAdmin, when we right click on *view
> under Views *in the tree it shows option view/edit though actually it
> does not allow to Add/Edit data.
>
>
> Regards,
> Ikram
> Bitnine
>
>
>> I assume you are talking about the table data view in pgadmin, rather
>> than the views supported by postgres SQL language. If that's the case, you
>> might be missing a primary key in your table.
>>
>
>
> --
> Muhammad Ikram
>
>