Subject: branching soon

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2025 11:14:21 +0100

Hopefully, we're done with releases and re-releases for now.  So now I 
would like to do the translations branching soon.  We did it around this 
time last year, which I think worked fine.

One reason I would like to move forward with this soon is that I would 
like to get <https://commitfest.postgresql.org/patch/5429/> committed 
and run it through the whole pipeline before feature freeze.

Unless there are any concerns, I will do this later this week.

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2025 11:28:09 +0100

> Unless there are any concerns, I will do this later this week.

This has been done.  Be sure to adjust your local checkouts as appropriate.

---

From: Guillaume Lelarge <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2025 17:01:54 +0100

On 27/02/2025 11:28, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> would like to do the translations branching soon.  We did it around 
>> this time last year, which I think worked fine.
>>

Thanks.

-- 
Guillaume Lelarge
Consultant
https://dalibo.com

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2025 18:10:37 +0100

> This has been done.  Be sure to adjust your local checkouts as appropriate.

It looks like I created the branch wrong (at a wrong branch point), so I 
had to delete it and recreate it again.  So you'll probably get some 
kind of error if you git pull your REL_17_STABLE checkout.  Sorry about 
that.

Also, there had been a couple of commits to the (now deleted) 
REL_17_STABLE that synced the translations with the wrong upstream.  So 
those are probably no longer necessary.

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2025 18:17:38 +0100

> and run it through the whole pipeline before feature freeze.

I have committed a subset of that patch to try it out.  Specifically, I 
have committed the part for pg_checksums.  So you can try out 
translating pg_checksums for PG18.

The issue is the new approach for embedding int64_t format directives. 
See explanation here: 
<https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/No-string-concatenation.html#The-_003cinttypes_002eh_003e-macros>. 
  So it should like this

#: pg_checksums.c:144
#, c-format
msgid "%<PRId64>/%<PRId64> MB (%d%%) computed"
msgstr "%<PRId64>/%<PRId64> MB (%d%%) berechnet"

(I don't expect any particular problems.  It's just worth trying it at 
small scale first.)

---

From: Guillaume Lelarge <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2025 17:33:54 +0100

On 02/03/2025 18:17, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> See explanation here: <https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/ 
> html_node/No-string-concatenation.html#The-_003cinttypes_002eh_003e- 
> macros>.  So it should like this
> 
> #: pg_checksums.c:144
> #, c-format

It looks like it is working for me.

-- 
Guillaume Lelarge
Consultant
https://dalibo.com