Subject: No credit for translators?

From: Dennis Björklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 23:17:12 +0100

In the end of each Release notes there is this section:

"The following individuals (in alphabetical order) have contributed to 
this release as patch authors, committers, reviewers, testers, or 
reporters of issues."

It would be nice for translators to be included in the list of names as 
well. It's quite a lot of work to do a translation after all.

/Dennis

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 09:31:57 +0100

> well. It's quite a lot of work to do a translation after all.

This is of course true.

The release notes credits are basically composed from the commit logs.

If we want to add translators as well, we need to come up with a 
reliable way to collect everybody's names, including from mailing lists, 
direct commits, bug tracker, as well as names of people who have helped 
behind the scenes but are "represented" here by a single individual.

Now is a good time to start thinking about this.

---

From: "Pavlo Golub" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 09:40:06 +0000

>>"The following individuals (in alphabetical order) have contributed to this release as patch authors, committers, reviewers, testers, or reporters of issues."
>>
>>It would be nice for translators to be included in the list of names as well. It's quite a lot of work to do a translation after all.
>
>This is of course true.
>
>If we want to add translators as well, we need to come up with a reliable way to collect everybody's names, including from mailing lists, direct commits, bug tracker, as well as names of people who have helped behind the scenes but are "represented" here by a single individual.
>
I think we already de-facto have people responsible for a language(s). I 
believe they should know all other persons involved. For example, I can 
easily give you a list of translators to Ukrainian.

After we collect those lists, maybe, it's a good idea to put those under 
version control for a current DEV branch. After official release, wipe 
it out and start from the scratch.

---

From: Dennis Björklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 08:14:02 +0100

Sounds like a workable way to keep track of the persons involved in a 
release.

Just parsing the commit logs of the translation repo would give some 
names but maybe not all. On the other hand the current list in the 
release notes is probably produced by parsing the PG commits and those 
can also be from a group of persons represented by a single individual.

I don't know how testers are included in the current list and where that 
data come from.

/Dennis

Den 2023-03-10 kl. 10:40, skrev Pavlo Golub:
>>> "The following individuals (in alphabetical order) have contributed 
>>> to this release as patch authors, committers, reviewers, testers, or 
>>> reporters of issues."
>>>
>>> It would be nice for translators to be included in the list of names 
>>> as well. It's quite a lot of work to do a translation after all.
>>
>> This is of course true.
>>
>> reliable way to collect everybody's names, including from mailing 
>> lists, direct commits, bug tracker, as well as names of people who 
>> have helped behind the scenes but are "represented" here by a single 
>> individual.
>>