Subject: French translation typos

From: Thomas Munro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 16:30:39 +1200

Hi,

It's not my language so I could be totally wrong in some of these
cases, but I noticed a few typos while grepping for an error message,
and then I couldn't help looking for more (from my recollection of the
rules):

msgstr "contrainte %s non supporée avec la définition de clé de partitionnement"

  supporée -> supportée

msgstr "La table « %s » contient des partitionso qui ne sont pas des
tables distantes."

  partitionso -> partitions

Several like this:

msgstr "la contrainte « %s » entre en conflit avec la constrainte non
héritée sur la relation « %s »"
msgstr ""
"les constraintes sur des tables temporaires ne peuvent référencer que des\n"
"tables temporaires"
... (a few more like that) ...

  constrainte -> contrainte
  constraintes -> contraintes

msgstr "les triggers sur événemenr ne sont pas supportés pour %s"

  événemenr -> événement(s?)

That's clearly a typo at the end, but separately:  In many places we
have événement, but supposedly évènement is the correct modern
spelling (?); I think it's the same for chaîne (old, we're using that)
vs chaine (modern), but I have no idea if anyone cares about spelling
reforms.

msgstr "ne peut pas pu envoyer un message de taille %zu via la queue
en mémoire partagée"

  ne peut pas pu -> ne peut pas

msgstr "la colonne « %s » ne peut pas être utilisé dans des
statistiques parce que son type %s n'a pas de classe d'opérateur btree
par défaut"

  utilisé -> utilisée

msgstr "l'expression ne peut pas être utilisé dans des statistiques
multivariates parce que son type %s n'a pas de classe d'opérateur
btree par défaut"

  utilisé -> utilisée

msgstr "la contrainte doit aussi être validées sur les tables enfants"

  validées -> validée

msgstr "les fonctions de distance à perte ne sont pas supportés dans
les parcours d'index seul"

  supportés -> supportées

Several like this:

msgstr "option de CLUSTER « %s » non reconnu"
msgstr "option « %s » non reconnu"
msgstr "variable « %s » du filtre non reconnu"
msgstr "option d'EXPLAIN « %s » non reconnu"
msgstr "option de REINDEX « %s » non reconnu"

  reconnu -> reconnue

msgstr ""
"Initialise le niveau (« facility ») de syslog à utilisé lors de l'activation\n"
"de syslog."

  utilisé -> utiliser

msgstr "la ligne à verrouillée était déjà déplacée dans une autre
partition du fait d'une mise à jour concurrente"

  verrouillée -> verrouiller

msgstr "Échecs multiples --- l'erreur d'écriture pourrait être permanent."

  permanent -> permanente

msgstr "nombre de descripteurs de fichier insuffisants pour lancer le
processus serveur"

  insuffisants -> insuffisant

msgstr "longueurs d'élément corrompus : total %u, espace disponible %u"

  corrompus -> corrompues

msgstr "L'utilisateur était connecté à une base de donnée qui doit
être supprimé."

  supprimé -> supprimée

msgid "floating-point exception"
msgstr "exception dû à une virgule flottante"

  Should be "dûe", or would this be better as "exception en virgule flottante"?

msgstr "trop de lexèmes dans l'entre du thésaurus"

  entre -> entrée (?)

msgstr "le dictionnaire Ispell supporte seulement les valeurs de
drapeau « default », « long »et « num »"

  (missing space)

msgstr "Valeur  manquante de la dimension du tableau."

  (extra space)

msgid "invalid number of dimensions: %d"
msgstr "nombre de dimensions invalides : %d"

  invalides -> invalide

msgstr "la fonctions de hashage 1 doit avoir un argument"
... several like this ...

  fonctions -> fonction
  hashage -> hachage (that's how it's written elsewhere...), or maybe
hâchage (hash joins are called jointures hâchées)?

msgstr "%s = %d est un paramètrage plus bas que celui du serveur
primaire, où sa valeur était %d."

  paramètrage -> paramétrage (3 examples)

  msgstr "Les paramètres jsonpath doivent être encodés en paires
clé-valeur d'objets « vars»"

  (missing space)

msgstr "la cible du lien symbolique « %s » est trop long"
msgstr "cible du lien symbolique trop long pour le format tar  : nom
de fichier « %s », cible « %s »"

  long -> longue

"la fonction avec set-value a été appelé dans un contexte qui n'accepte pas\n"
"un ensemble"

  appelé -> appelée

msgstr "certains droits n'ont pu être révoqué pour la colonne « %s »
de la relation « %s »"
msgstr "certains droits n'ont pu être révoqué pour « %s »"

  révoqué -> révoqués

msgstr "unités d'intervalle « %s » non supporté car les mois ont
généralement des semaines fractionnaires"

  supporté -> supportées (? or somehow this agrees with %s?)

msgid "distance in phrase operator should be non-negative and less than %d"
msgstr "la distance dans l'opérateur de phrase devrait pas positif et
inférieur à %d"

  devrait pas positif et inférieur à -> devrait être non négative et
inférieure à (?)

Sorry if I'm wrong about any of these, I'll be happy to learn...

---

From: Julien Rouhaud <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 13:00:36 +0800

> msgstr "contrainte %s non supporée avec la définition de clé de partitionnement"

Indeed.

>   partitionso -> partitions

+1

>   constraintes -> contraintes

+1

>   événemenr -> événement(s?)

It should be événement (singular)

> vs chaine (modern), but I have no idea if anyone cares about spelling

Indeed, in both cases the 2nd version was introduced in the 1990
reform [1].  It's a matter of taste, but I personally dislike most of
the changes that it introduced.  I'm assuming that most of younger
people will disagree :)

>   ne peut pas pu -> ne peut pas

Indeed, probably the translator started with "n'a pas pu" and switched
to present tense.

> msgstr "option de REINDEX « %s » non reconnu"

Indeed, good catch :)

> msgstr "L'utilisateur était connecté à une base de donnée qui doit

All good!

>   Should be "dûe", or would this be better as "exception en virgule flottante"?

"dûe" indeed.  I'm not sure which one would be better actually, but
most of the French translation is probably using a style similar to
the 1st one so keeping it may be better for consistency.  Guillaume
may have a better opinion :)

> ... several like this ...

all good!

> hâchage (hash joins are called jointures hâchées)?

It should be "hachage".  I don't think that "hâche" is correct in French.

>   supporté -> supportées (? or somehow this agrees with %s?)

I think it's "supportées".

>   devrait pas positif et inférieur à -> devrait être non négative et

Agreed

> Sorry if I'm wrong about any of these, I'll be happy to learn...

Your skills are impressive!

[1]: https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/Annexe:Rectifications_orthographiques_du_fran%C3%A7ais_en_1990

---

From: Thomas Munro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 18:19:27 +1200

> Your skills are impressive!

I was lucky enough to spend some time working in Paris about a million
years ago... I probably haven't retained much, just a paranoid
hypervigilance about all those silent letters.  I recall proudly
buying a special en<->fr dictionary of computer terminology that
someone had gone to great effort to invent to avoid the scourge of
Anglicisms, but it turned out that nobody had ever heard of any of the
made up words in it, so people would just look confused or laugh.
Which reminds me, one thing I noticed is that we use multiple
translations for certain key concepts that have more consistent
wording in the English messages (examples: grantor -> concédant,
donneur de droits, donateur; deadlock -> interblocage, verrous
bloqués, verrou mortel;  to violate a constraint -> violer, rompre,
transgresser).  But I really should leave that to the experts, I have
no idea what sounds best, I'll shut up and go back to C.

---

From: SAS <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 12:18:55 +0200

> no idea what sounds best, I'll shut up and go back to C.
Hello,

I'm also impressed by all the typos you noticed. I wish I could have such an
eagle eye on foreign languages, too, but, hey, it seems I have lessons to learn
in French too :-)

But I just wanted to say I fully agree when you say English wording is usually
more consistent, and often more understandable than what we could say in French
(sometimes we have to write a complete sentence to translate a single word).
And I must confess I still prefer the original version (despite the fact that I
tried for some times to help on translating into French, because,  you know,
French people read French documentation).

Best,

Stéphane

-- 
Dr Stéphane Schildknecht
Contact régional PostgreSQL pour l'Europe francophone
+33 617 11 37 42

---

From: SAS <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 12:29:05 +0200

Le 28/05/2021 à 07:00, Julien Rouhaud a écrit :
>> (...)

I know elder people that disagree, but I prefer the old rules too.

> may have a better opinion :)
The accent goes away on feminine form of "dû", so it should be spelt "due".
>>   devrait pas positif et inférieur à -> devrait être non négative et

Is there a difference in meaning between "non négative" and "positive" ? (True
question.)

Best,

Stéphane

---

From: Julien Rouhaud <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 20:02:52 +0800

> The accent goes away on feminine form of "dû", so it should be spelt "due".

Doh right I forgot about this rule!

---

From: Guillaume Lelarge <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 15:18:29 +0200

Hi,

> Sorry if I'm wrong about any of these, I'll be happy to learn...
Sounds pretty good to me.  I've fixed them all in all the supported
releases (so from 9.6 to the future 14).

Thanks a lot.

-- 
Guillaume.

---

From: Michael Paquier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 22:26:31 +0900

> I know elder people that disagree, but I prefer the old rules too.

Wow.  The new rule sounds so much more natural to me, so I would
use "évènement" everywhere, but I am not an active translater.

PS: J'ai tendance à mettre des accents graves partout par contre,
comme l'ancienne règle.  :)
--
Michael

---

From: Thomas Munro <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 08:07:49 +1200

> It should be "hachage".  I don't think that "hâche" is correct in French.

In that case, shouldn't we also fix these?

msgstr "Active l'utilisation de plans de jointures hâchées par le
planificateur."
msgstr "Active l'utilisation de plans de jointures hâchées parallèles
par le planificateur."

  hâchées -> hachées

---

From: Thomas Munro <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 08:41:25 +1200

On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 1:18 AM Guillaume Lelarge
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Sounds pretty good to me.  I've fixed them all in all the supported releases (so from 9.6 to the future 14).

Ahh, I see from the commit that it's "due", not "dûe".  Au temps pour
moi.  Thanks Guillaume and Julien!

---

From: Thomas Munro <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 09:22:54 +1200

> The accent goes away on feminine form of "dû", so it should be spelt "due".

Ah, right, thanks!  I missed your message because I wasn't subscribed
to -translators and you didn't reply-all, so I just noticed the fix in
the commit.

> Is there a difference in meaning between "non négative" and "positive" ? (True question.)

The code says: if (distance < 0 || distance > MAXENTRYPOS), so it
allows 0.  Zero is not positive.  So the translation was logically
different.

---

From: Julien Rouhaud <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 16:48:48 +0800

> msgstr "Active l'utilisation de plans de jointures hâchées parallèles

Indeed, and here the full list that I see:

$ ag "hâ[cs]h" fr/postgres.po
895:msgstr "les index hâchés ne supportent pas les parcours complets d'index"
26011:msgstr "Active l'utilisation de plans d'agrégats hâchés par le
planificateur."
26031:msgstr "Active l'utilisation de plans de jointures hâchées par
le planificateur."
26051:msgstr "Active l'utilisation de plans de jointures hâchées
parallèles par le planificateur."
28593:#~ msgstr "n'a pas pu écrire le fichier temporaire de la
jointure hâchée : %m"

---

From: SAS <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 11:21:37 +0200

> to -translators and you didn't reply-all, so I just noticed the fix in
Sorry for that.
> allows 0.  Zero is not positive.  So the translation was logically

Oh, right. Thank you for the explanation.

---

From: Thomas Munro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 14:24:56 +1200

> 28593:#~ msgstr "n'a pas pu écrire le fichier temporaire de la

Also

msgstr "la fonction de hachage 1 doit avoir deux argument

argument -> arguments

---

From: Guillaume Lelarge <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 16:39:17 +0200

> msgstr "la fonction de hachage 1 doit avoir deux argument
Sorry for the late reply. I've fixed both ('hâch", and "deux argument").

Thanks a lot.

-- 
Guillaume.

---

From: Thomas Munro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 17:26:24 +1300

Salut,

msgid "SQL function with unquoted function body cannot have
polymorphic arguments"
msgstr "la fonction SQL avec un corps de fonction sans guillemets ne
peuvent pas avoir des arguments polymorphiques"

peuvent -> peut

---

From: Guillaume Lelarge <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 16:37:09 +0200

Bonjour,

Merci beaucoup pour cette info. Je viens de corriger le fichier .po.

Merci.

Le ven. 22 oct. 2021 à 06:27, Thomas Munro <[email-masked]> a

-- 
Guillaume.