Subject: Typos in es.po

From: Thomas Munro <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2024 23:34:10 +1200

Hi,

I was grepping for setlocale and this string jumped out:

"La base de datos fueron inicializada con LC_CTYPE ..."

I think it should be "fue", no?

And because I've been trying to learn some basic Spanish I gave myself
1 minute to find another grammatical mistake and this is the best I
could come up with:

"la opción de secuencia «%s» no está soportado aquí"

I think it should be "soportada", no?

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2024 13:48:38 +0200

Hello

> I think it should be "soportada", no?

Eagle eyes, both correct, thanks.  I grepped for "soportado" and found
this other one:
-msgstr "las tablas declaradas WITH OIDS no está soportado"
+msgstr "las tablas declaradas WITH OIDS no están soportadas"

These typos are all very old ... I have backpatch the fixes back to 12.

(I think the use of "soportar" as a translation is not considered fully
correct, but I don't recall finding a better word.)

Thanks for reporting these!

-- 
Álvaro Herrera        Breisgau, Deutschland  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/

---

From: Thomas Munro <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 08:24:55 +1200

> correct, but I don't recall finding a better word.)

It's a non-traditional use of "to support" in English too.  The main
idea of this word in computing seems to be compatibility ("PostgreSQL
supports Windows 10 and later"), or you might say acceptability ("...
OIDs are not supported").  Oxford has a separate entry just for
computing: "allowing a program, language or device to be used".
That's quite different from the usual meaning of holding something up
literally or figuratively.  Maybe it's closer to the extra meaning in
Spanish, French etc (that we don't have in English) of enduring,
putting up with, tolerating, though without the negative
connotation...

It's quite a slippery word, really, considering the active and passive
meanings.  It's not clear whether it is a statement of intention (we
will do whatever it takes to remain compatible with macOS etc) or a
claim, observation or something weaker like a hypothesis with no
counter evidence (as far as we know, PostgreSQL 16 runs on current
AIX).