Subject: Translations devroom at FOSDEM

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 12:26:16 +0100

There will be a Translations devroom at this year's FOSDEM conference on 
Sunday, February 5: https://fosdem.org/2023/schedule/track/translations/

For those who won't be there (or won't fit into the rooms), I believe 
there will be live video and video recordings.

I will be there to present about translations in the PostgreSQL project. 
  If you're there, please say hi.  Also, if there are suggestions about 
what to include in the presentation, let me know please.

---

From: Guillaume Lelarge <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 17:55:27 +0100

Hi,

> what to include in the presentation, let me know please.
I'll be at FOSDEM this year, I'll try to attend your talk.

Thanks.

-- 
Guillaume.

---

From: "Pavlo Golub" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2023 08:37:28 +0000

>There will be a Translations devroom at this year's FOSDEM conference on Sunday, February 5: https://fosdem.org/2023/schedule/track/translations/

Oh, so cool! Meet you there!

>
>For those who won't be there (or won't fit into the rooms), I believe there will be live video and video recordings.
>
>I will be there to present about translations in the PostgreSQL project.  If you're there, please say hi.  Also, if there are suggestions about what to include in the presentation, let me know please.
Since the topic is gettext there is not much to add. Maybe you should 
mention GUI editors, like POEdit. Not sure if it worth to mention online 
tools, like Crowdin (https://crowdin.com/project/postgresql). For 
example, Ukrainian i18n is going on online only and sporadically 
uploaded by me to the Babel.

Anyway, feel free to ask any questions! Kudos!

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 08:16:40 +0100

> what to include in the presentation, let me know please.

The recording of my talk is now available: 
https://fosdem.org/2023/schedule/event/translations_20_years_with_gettext/

Thanks to those who came out.

The rest of the track is also worth watching if you are interested in 
this space.

I learned a lot that weekend from the feedback during and after the talk 
and the other sessions.  Mostly, it seems other projects (e.g., KDE, 
GNOME, Fedora) are using essentially the same workflow as we do, of 
course on a larger scale and with a bit more eye candy, but technically 
very similar.

I learned about Weblate, which is a web application that manages the 
translation processes, similar to Crowdin that some are already using. 
We could look into that.

I heard that there is some work on message formats in the ICU project, 
so in the long run this could replace Gettext.

To be clear, I don't plan to do any major infrastructure work before the 
PG 16 release (but that shouldn't stop anyone else from trying), but I 
might look into those in the future.

---

From: Temuri Doghonadze <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 08:35:20 +0100

Hi,
Actually, not quite so.
KDE is using SVN and translators have to have their SSH keys uploaded
to their servers which takes quite long and each software has to pull
its translations tom that SVN (at least, when being compiled from GIT
src).
GNOME is using their own software "damned lies" where users can upload
and mods can push changes, which are pushed directly to relevant
software's GIT repo. Works like 90% of chances and if it doesn't, you
have to wait for months for it to be fixed.
Others are using either their own (fedora, suse, openstack, ovirt...)
weblate instalation, or using transifex/hosted weblate/crowdin.
transifex's interface is so obscure, slow and inconvinient, that I'm
using it by downloading .po files from them, translating locally and
uploading back to TX.
crowdin is just piece of cake, imho. it can be (same as for
weblate/transifex, of course, not saying those cannot do the same,
crowdin is just very good at what it does) set up to do automatic
string extraction/upload to web and download/pull ready translations,
which is wonderful if one wants to have as small headache as possible.
Doubt migrating to transifex/crowdin/weblate would be a big problem
for devs, but as for translators, it might be just breath of fresh air
:)

Sorry for long email.

BR, Temuri