Subject: Why were some .mo files removed for the August 2022 minor release?

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 03:56:46 +0000

Hi,

I noticed that PostgreSQL 11.17 rpm did not have share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/plpgsql-11.mo.
This is because 'ro' has been removed in src/pl/plpgsql/src/nls.mk by Translation updates commit (*).
And PostgreSQL 12.12 rpm also does not have share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/pg_ctl-12.mo.
I got the rpms from the following URL:

https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/11/redhat/rhel-8-x86_64/
https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/12/redhat/rhel-8-x86_64/

However, the NLS Wiki has the following description:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NLS#Minimum_Translation
-----
If a file drops below the threshold after the major release during
the maintenance period of a branch, it will not be removed because of that.
-----

Is it correct to remove any language from nls.mk in minor version updates?
Or was it removed for some other reason?

(*)
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=97d6614d70c9483a1357c513c803e3c5d81401ae

Regards,
Daisuke, Higuchi

---

From: Alvaro Herrera <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 09:27:48 +0200

> Or was it removed for some other reason?

Hmm, that's odd.  That nls.mk should not have been modified in that
commit.  I have no explanation for this, but it was definitely not
intentional.  I must have made a merge mistake as I was running that
script for the first time since years. (I ran it with the deletion
switch, then reverted that and re-ran without it.)

Anyway, the state of many of our translations is very sad.  Romanian is
one of those that is slowly dying from a state that was, as I remember,
never very good.

-- 
Álvaro Herrera

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 10:21:47 +0000

> Hmm, that's odd.  That nls.mk should not have been modified in that commit. 
> I have no explanation for this, but it was definitely not intentional.

Thank you for reply.
I understand that the policy written on the wiki hasn't changed.

Regards,
Daisuke, Higuchi