Subject: Re: DNS: mirrors?

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 22:48:42 +0100

> Is this a problem?  Do I need to change my master?

No. The master is the blind primary on the 62.65 network, hasn't
changed. And I see you transferring from there.

> Jan 20 15:18:30 lerami named[1409]: zone 
> mirrors.postgresql.org/IN: refused notify from non-master: 
> 200.46.204.2#2867

That, however, is wrong. I don't know why neptune is sending out
notifies - it's not the master. It's not even a slave for that zone!

Also, I ran my test script. Seems there are problems with several of the
listed nameservers!

We have the following servers:
 ns.hub.org          | 200.46.204.2
 ns2.hub.org         | 66.98.250.36
 ns3.hub.org         | 200.46.204.4
 ns-a.lerctr.org     | 192.147.25.11
 ns-b.lerctr.org     | 192.147.25.45
 ns1.pgadmin.org     | 194.217.48.34
 ns2.pgadmin.org     | 81.187.210.23

Of these we have:
ns1.pgadmin.org and ns2.pgadmin.org - don't resolve at all. Changed or
should be removed?

ns.hub.org - now has a different IP? But something is answering on the
listed one? And it's the old one that sends notifies? Which one is
right?

ns3.hub.org - now has a different IP? Nothing answering on specified IP.

This means that more than half the DNS servers have changed since this
system was set up (and that was just a year ago! DNS servers are
supposed to be stable :P), and not one of the changes were reported
here... (Or if they were, nobody made sure the system was updated. But
I'm fairly certain I haven't heard anything about it)

Anyway. If I can get confirmation on how the above is supposed to be,
I'll fix it up ASAP.

//Magnus

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 22:01:00 +0000

> ns1.pgadmin.org and ns2.pgadmin.org - don't resolve at all. Changed or

Oops, changed today as it happens - sorry.

ns1.vale-housing.co.uk
ns2.vale-housing.co.uk
> I'm fairly certain I haven't heard anything about it)

Marc was re-arranging his DNS servers recently...

/D

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 00:11:51 -0400 (AST)

> ns1.pgadmin.org and ns2.pgadmin.org - don't resolve at all. Changed or

'k, where are ns{1,2}.pgadmin.org being used?

> Anyway. If I can get confirmation on how the above is supposed to be,

'k, I just did a major overhaul of our DNS this month ... 200.46.204.2 was 
getting overloaded, and there was no easy way to move things around, so I 
put the DNS servers on a floating IP (the IP doesn't change, it can just 
float between servers) instead of tying it to a specific server ...

So, the IPs should all be:

   ?column?   |      data
-------------+----------------
  ns4.hub.org | 200.46.208.251
  ns.hub.org  | 200.46.204.13
  ns2.hub.org | 66.98.250.36
  ns3.hub.org | 200.46.204.254
(4 rows)

Everything is in a bind-dlz database right now (except postgresql.org 
itself, since I haven't quite figured out a clean way of doing that yet, 
since its generated based on other data sources) ...

Primaary is 200.46.204.13, as the others are all slony slaves from it ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664