Subject: svr2/unionfs

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:38:04 +0000

Hi Marc,

How easy would it be to get rid of the unionfs stuff on svr2/borg? Given
that there is only the one VM, can the vserver just be copied over the
template?

Regards, Dave

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:00:10 -0400 (AST)

> that there is only the one VM, can the vserver just be copied over the

the ones we've been doing, and what we'll be doing with teh dev vserver 
tonight, is we copy over a clean, base template (ie. imap, postfix and 
vanilla apache) and then re-add the various applications over top of it 
... that way it doesn't have any of the extra trash installed ...

In theory, you could do that where you just copy it over the template 
itself ...

If you want to go the clean route, though, what I'm doing is:

cp fresh base template
shut down old vServer
rm various top level directories that can be safely removed
        - compat, sys, kernel, dev, modules, proc, tmp
cd usr; find . -depth -type d -delete
        - clears out the 'ghost directories that unionfs creates
cd ..
find . -print | cpio -pduma ../<new vserver hierarchy>

and then restart ...

for dev/lists, I'll disable postfix from starting up on restart, since I 
need to re-install the perl modules for majordomo2 ... for wwwmaster, 
you'd have to worry about making sure the appropriate php modules are 
installed ...

the 'painful ones' are doing the vServers with Java installed, since you 
have to build it all from scratch, which takes a good long while ... but 
the rest are fairly quick/easy ...

  ----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664