Subject: Re: FTP Mirrors (was Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Rewriting the website)

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:33:37 -0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Robert Treat [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 15 January 2004 06:20
> To: Marc G. Fournier; Ricardo Ryoiti S. Junior
> Cc: Peter Eisentraut; Alvaro Herrera; Marc G. Fournier; 
> [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] FTP Mirrors (was Re: 
> [pgsql-advocacy] Rewriting the website)
> 
> couple of quick items: s/mail/main/  right?
> and let's CC in the web group so they know what were talking 
> about eh? (and further reponses could probably trim -advocacy)
> 
> ok... so how much stuff will it break if we change the 
> layout? I'm thinking there are places where we may be 
> pointing directly into the ftp sites that might need the urls 
> changed... anyone want to do some looking?

We do. We point to the top of the PostgreSQL site whereever it is on the
mirror.

> Dave, would we have to update all the mirror sites directory 
> layouts in the mirror system?

Yes. You would also likely lose many of the larger mirrors who are
unlikely to change the disk layouts simply because some ppl  don't like
the directory in which they have mirrored our content - for example, the
mirror at ftp://ftp2.uk.postgresql.org/sites/www.postgresql.org/ is
hosted by a large UK academic site for the UK - they are unlikely to
change their layout because we don't like it.

On the subject of virtual hosts, as far as I'm aware, there is no
support for such a feature in the ftp protocol, thus it must be
implemented using individual IP addresses for each virtual host. I
suspect few, if any of the mirror providers would want to do that -
especially the ones using load balancers (such as ftp2.uk).

Regards, Dave.

---

From: "Chris Travers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:03:10 +0700

This may be a stupid question on this thread, but within the root PostgreSQL
mirror, is the directory structure the same?  If so, then it isn't such a
big deal.  If not then we have a bigger problem.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers