Subject: Re: Old revised version, and a new one

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 08:29:09 -0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Michael Glaesemann [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 14 November 2003 01:28
> To: Dave Page
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] Old revised version, and a new one
> 
> And I was running into problems with column width with words 
> not fitting into the 120px columns defined by the ads. I do 
> think 120px is a little narrow, making it harder to read 
> longer descriptions (due to line breaks) or even using longer 
> words in some cases. What are your thoughts on increasing the 
> left and right borders on the ads to make the columns wider?

Ahh, a sense of déjà vu!!

The problem with increasing the left/right ad borders is that you then need to do the top/bottom as well or it just looks wrong.

One this I did try previously that I seem to recall I liked but Marc wasn't so keen on (though maybe not for this reason) was including a solid title bar just below the header, right the way across. It also had a thin white border all round so it looked like a completely standalone entity. It gives just enough of a break that the columns no longer need to line up with the ads (though they should still look even).

Regards, Dave.

---

From: Michael Glaesemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:24:29 +0900

> Ahh, a sense of déjà vu!!

Well-worn road, eh?

> The problem with increasing the left/right ad borders is that you then 
> need to do the top/bottom as well or it just looks wrong.
>
> One this I did try previously that I seem to recall I liked but Marc 
> wasn't so keen on (though maybe not for this reason) was including a 
> solid title bar just below the header, right the way across.

I was thinking something very similar. You could take the links that 
are currently banner and make something like a menu bar running beneath 
the ads, the logotype, and the logo. This would also give us a lot more 
space for varying length menu terms. I'm probably not the first person 
to suggest this. Was there a reason why it wasn't implemented? I'll try 
something like this as well.

Speaking of which, are there originals of the logotype and logo 
floating around somewhere? I've been keen to clean up some of the 
pixelation (from jpg compression?), but it might be easier just to 
recreate them from the originals than spend the time pushing pixels.

Michael