Subject: Re: Old revised version, and a new one

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 20:48:40 -0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Andreas Grabmüller [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 13 November 2003 20:35
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] Old revised version, and a new one
> 
> The path for the alternative is incorrect ;)
> 
> http://www.grzm.com/postgresql_org/html/index3.htm
> 
> That one has some really nice elements, there are others I 
> don't like. I think I will play with this a bit later :)

TO be honest the only bit I like is the headings in the right bar. The left bar and center sections just look wrong (aside from the fact that some of the text doesn't even display in IE6). I also think the sidebars need to line up with the natural columns created by the ads, otherwise the whole layout looks off-balance.

Sorry Michael :-(, I would concentrate on the other one :-)

Regard,s Dave.

---

From: Michael Glaesemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:28:16 +0900

On Friday, November 14, 2003, at 05:48 AM, Dave Page wrote:
>
> The left bar and center sections just look wrong (aside from the fact 
> that some of the text doesn't even display in IE6).

Could you be more specific? I don't have access to IE6, so I don't know 
what you're (not) seeing. Even if this particular design doesn't work 
for you, I definitely want to know about potential problems in IE6 so I 
can learn to work around them in others. (I did forget to add the words 
"Submit News" in the News heading—it's just an empty <a> tag right now.)

>  I also think the sidebars need to line up with the natural columns 
> created by the ads, otherwise the whole layout looks off-balance.

I agree. It's one of the things I used as a design constraint on the 
other design. On the other hand, in another thread,

On Thursday, November 13, 2003, at 01:09 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Andreas Grabm?ller wrote:
>> Well, I like the boxes on the sides, however I'm not happy with
>> making it fixed-width again...
>
> Agreed.

And I was running into problems with column width with words not 
fitting into the 120px columns defined by the ads. I do think 120px is 
a little narrow, making it harder to read longer descriptions (due to 
line breaks) or even using longer words in some cases. What are your 
thoughts on increasing the left and right borders on the ads to make 
the columns wider?

Michael