Subject: Re: Postgresql.org search engine.

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 13:39:36 -0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Marc G. Fournier [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 01 February 2004 22:12
> To: Oleg Bartunov
> Cc: Marc G. Fournier; Josh Berkus; Dave Page; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] Postgresql.org search engine.
> 
> And let me know if the headers look right to you ... I took 
> out the Cache-control stuff ...
> 
> Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to see in there ...

It looks even more complex to me now - there are what, 6 include files?

How about something more simple:

========================================================================
======
<?
  $last_modified = "Fri,  9 Jan 2004 19:00:28 +0000 (GMT)";
  $subject = " Re: IMPORTANT: A temporary list for Strategic Marketing";
  require("$DOCUMENT_ROOT/includes/header.php");
?>

<pre>Joshua D. Drake wrote:
&gt;
&gt; &gt;There shouldn't be any tangents or general discussion on
-advocacy
&gt; &gt;either -- that's what -general is for.  A one-time incident
should not
&gt; &gt;lead to such drastic measures.  If the marketing plan is no
longer
&gt; &gt;discussed on -advocacy, what is?
&gt; &gt;
&gt; &gt;
&gt; I disagree whole heartedly. If you look at general, it is basically
&gt; PostgreSQL-Support.

<!--noindex-->
<HR>
<UL>
<li>Prev by Date:
<strong><a href="msg00116.php">Re: IMPORTANT: A temporary list for
Strategic Marketing</a></strong>
</li>
<li>Next by Date:
<strong><a href="msg00118.php">Re: IMPORTANT: A temporary list for
Strategic Marketing</a></strong>
</li>

<li>Previous by thread:
<strong><a href="msg00126.php">Re: IMPORTANT: A temporary list for
Strategic</a></strong>
</li>
<li>Next by thread:
<strong><a href="msg00125.php">Re: IMPORTANT: A temporary list for
Strategic</a></strong>
</li>

  <LI>Index(es):
      <UL>
        <LI><A HREF="mail2.php#00117"><STRONG>Main</STRONG></A></LI>
        <LI><A HREF="thrd2.php#00117"><STRONG>Thread</STRONG></A></LI>
      </UL>
  </LI>
</UL>
<!--/noindex-->

<?
  require("$DOCUMENT_ROOT/includes/footer.php");
?>
========================================================================
======

Header.php then may look something like:

========================================================================
======
<?
  if(isset($last_modified)) {
    header("Last-Modified: $last_modified");
  } else {
    header("Last-Modified: " .date("r", filemtime($SCRIPT_FILENAME)));
  }

  // Other stuff here
?>

<HTML>
<HEADER>
  <TITLE><? php echo $subject ?></TITLE>
  <META NAME="robots" CONTENT="nofollow, index, archive">
</HEADER>

<BODY>

<!--noindex-->
  <!-- HTML code for search form etc. -->
<!--/noindex-->
========================================================================
======

And footer.php (minus and footers we might add).

========================================================================
======
</BODY>
</HTML>
========================================================================
======

In addition, there is an awful lot of HTML comments that mhonarc has
added:

<!--X-Head-Body-Sep-End-->
<!--X-Body-of-Message-->

As examples. These seem somewhat extranous and could be removed for ease
of reading and disk space/bandwidth usage reduction.

Oh, and on the current version the noindex tags seem to be in the wrong
places. On the index/thread pages for example, they should enclose all
the hyperlinks. The noindex tags do not stop links being followed, just
the text within them from being included in the index.

Regards, Dave.

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:11:24 -0400 (AST)

> How about something more simple:

if you can figure out how to do it in the .resource file, please let me
know ... I've strip'd out everything that I believe can be done without
making the .resource file itself majorly confusing ...

> <!--X-Head-Body-Sep-End-->

Nothing I can do about these, there are no configuration directives that
I've found to strip those ...

> the text within them from being included in the index.

The index/thread pages all have noindex,follow set in the META TAG ...
isn't that what that META TAG is supposed to be for?

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:25:58 -0400 (AST)

I just cleaned up the <HEAD></HEAD> section of the message layout, so that
shrinks the msg*.php files by a few more lines ...

----

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 11:38:57 -0400 (AST)

> of reading and disk space/bandwidth usage reduction.

I've put a note out to the mhonarc list to see if there is somethign I'm
missing in the docs that allows one to turn those off ... it seems to add
about a 1k worth of data to each file, which, when dealing with 100's of
thousands of messages, is a fair amount of disk space ...

----