Subject: projects.postgresql.net

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 11:14:23 -0400 (AST)

G'day all ...

   When we setup GBorg, one of the additions that we added to it was to
have the ability to link to a Project Web Page ... if I recall correctly,
it was DaveP that prompted it for the ODBC driver ...

   What I'd like to do is extend that one step further and provide a space
where projects can put their project pages ... basically, a ftp address
that they can login to and upload a "site" for <project>.postgresql.net
...

   Two reasons for postgresql.net ... a) its not being used right now and
b) it keeps it out of the postgresql.org name space which has alot in it
right now with all of the mirror stuff ...

   Gborg itself is "dry" ... no individualism to it, and limited in the
amount of information that can be provided, as well as how it can be
provided ... this would leave the development stuff (CVS, bug trackign,
mailing lists, etc) on gborg, while providing an area under which more
individualistic project pages could be developed, similar to how
sourceforge has things setup:

	http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

	vs

	http://sourceforge.net/projects/gaim/

   So we'd have a:

	http://jdbc.postgresql.net

	vs

	http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgjdbc/projdisplay.php

   Thoughts?  Useless idea?  Bad idea?  Waste of time and energy?

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 10:41:29 -0500

> right now with all of the mirror stuff ...

I'd go with projects.postgresql.org myself, because I think that's where
people would naturally look.  If you really want .net then please make
the other name redirect to .net ...

			regards, tom lane

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 11:47:43 -0400 (AST)

> the other name redirect to .net ...

k, what other name?  for the existing sites (ie. odbc and jdbc), a
redirect would definitely be put into place ... but for sites that
currently do not have anything, why put the redirect?

The reason I'm looking at using the .net, other then trying to keep the
.org namespace from going super large, is that I can setup DNS as
*.postgresql.net to point at the IP in question, and let Apache sort out
the individual projects ... I'm not totally hung up on using .net, it just
simplifies some things ...

We can use .org, it just means that its more difficult to automate the
process of setting up a new project, since DNS would have to be modified
for each new one ...

----

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 11:10:23 -0500

> simplifies some things ...

Well, it simplifies things right now.  What about mirroring though?
When the .net area gets large enough to need to be split across multiple
servers, will there be a problem?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 12:16:44 -0400 (AST)

> servers, will there be a problem?

Good point ... so we need to DNS each project name individually ...

But, again in favor of doing the .net ... we're looking at migrating DNS
to bind-dlz ... the .org domain can't be done that way easily, do to the
combination of dynamic/static host names (all the mirrors are dynamically
generated) ... moving projects to .net would allow us to leave the dns
records in the database ...

Counter to that, of course, is that we could extend the mirror/dns script
to dump the projects at the same time ...

I'm flexible either way ... one benefit to .net is we could make
www.postgresql.net == gborg.postgresql.org, since someone mentioned
drop'ng the gborg name altogether ... again, gborg.postgresql.org would
have a redirect to www.postgresql.net ...

----

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 20:45:35 +0100

> 	http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgjdbc/projdisplay.php

How exactly would you do this mapping -- "jdbc" vs. "pgjdbc" -- in 
general?

Also, the subject line refers to "projects.postgresql.net".  Maybe that 
would be a better title than "gborg".  I'm not too excited about the 
".net" yet, though.

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 15:48:07 -0400 (AST)

> How exactly would you do this mapping -- "jdbc" vs. "pgjdbc" -- in

it would be a redirect ... jdbc.postgresql.org would redirect to
pgjdbc.postgresql.net ...

> would be a better title than "gborg".

that was kinda what I was thinking also ...

----

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 21:02:57 +0100

> pgjdbc.postgresql.net ...

Wouldn't it be easier to rename the project while it is young?

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:09:54 -0400 (AST)

> Wouldn't it be easier to rename the project while it is young?

rename it to what?  if you are suggesting to just jdbc, no ...

----