Subject: Re: projects.postgresql.net

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:30:28 -0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Marc G. Fournier [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 02 February 2004 16:17
> To: Tom Lane
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] projects.postgresql.net 
> 
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Tom Lane wrote:
> 
> > Well, it simplifies things right now.  What about mirroring though?
> > When the .net area gets large enough to need to be split across 
> > multiple servers, will there be a problem?
> 
> Good point ... so we need to DNS each project name individually ...

Is it likely to grow that much? I would expect most of the large files
to be in Gborg in the CVS repo or the downloads areas. How big has Gborg
got? Also, bear in mind that simple mirroring isn't a problem as 2
servers may be mirrored and both Ips listed against *.postgresql.net) -
splitting the sites across 2 or more servers would be more difficult.

Regards, Dave.

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 12:31:57 -0400 (AST)

> splitting the sites across 2 or more servers would be more difficult.

actually, not so much ... if we set it up so that sites
[a-m]*.postgresql.net point to IP A, and [n-z]*.postgresql.net point to
IP B ...

But I do agree that the site would have to be quite large to become a
problem ... I can see gborg needing to be spread across two servers first,
since that is where the brunt of the work will be done ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664