Subject: Re: development questions (was: Re: Another update on 'portal')

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 18:10:55 -0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Andreas Grabmüller [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 14 February 2004 17:35
> To: [email-masked]; Dave Page
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: development questions (was: Re: [pgsql-www] 
> Another update on 'portal')
> 
> When I saw Alexeys posts, I decided to not answer them - it's 
> difficult for me to have an objective opinion as I simply 
> don't like the way Alexey came in and said "everything you do 
> sucks, what I do is the only right way you can do that". That 
> makes me think "what the hell does that guy want from us?". 
> However, let me try it.

Thanks :-)

> I have reviewed the code and it looks good - most of it seems 
> to work, much of my code has been optimized.

OK.

> I can't say if this code is good or this code is bad. He did 
> the changes he stated in his mail, and they seem to work and 
> the code techincally looks good (at least better than mine). 
> The question is, do we want to have this changes? I like the 
> template usage and the new path format page.html.{ln}. I 
> personally don't like the usage of gettext as for me this 
> seems to be overhead - before we had a php file containing 
> all variables, now we have several .po etc. files which have 
> to be edited by special software (I think?). All this is just 
> a question of the personal point of view.

Well, I'm not a translator, but I know ppl that are. We use gettext both in pgAdmin III (which supports over 30 languages, at least a couple of which are rtl iirc) and on it's website and my understanding is that it is a nice and convenient method. Apps like poEdit make it easy to see untranslated or updated strings and translate them. Also, Peter Eisentraut suggested gettext and he is certainly experienced in these issues.

So, are we happy to update CVS and whichever dev vhost you are using to this version and think about what else needs doing before we can go live?

Regards, Dave.