Subject: Re: [webmaster] online demonstration against EU Software

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:33:04 +0100

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Greg Sabino Mullane [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 14 April 2004 12:46
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] [webmaster] online demonstration 
> against EU Software
> 
> 
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>  
>  
>  
> Has it been redesigned? 

Yes, 18 months or so ago. There was lots of discussion on this list and
I designed the current site based on it, and feedback received following
different versions offered. I don't disagree that it has issues, but
please don't dismiss my effort, and the opinions of those that took part
in the development as 'sad'. It doesn't make us feel happy and cheerful
:-)

> I thought we had a new version in the 
> wings, waiting for this, that, and the other. 

There is, but the main focus of that is supporting multiple languages.
The *only* design change is to make it non-fixed width (which some ppl
do like incidently).

> As far as 
> helping out, I've put in plenty of suggestions over time, and 
> even joined the gborg group (one of the few who did) to put 
> my money where my mouth is.

I don't deny that you have helped out, and it is appreciated. 

> My biggest suggestion for the site right now is to lose the 
> fixed-width table - it looks terrible to see the site 
> constrained to a centered box in the middle of the browser. 

Being done....

> Second biggest is to lose the "Contact the Webmasters" box, 
> which seems pointless and almost borders on rude with the 
> wording about ignoring requests.

There sits someone who has never had that address pointing to their
inbox! Without the box, we got lots of messages complaining that ppl
didn't know how to contact the webmasters (yes, I know!), so I added the
box. Then, I get inundated with support requests, that really belong on
-general or similar, so I added the warning. Even now we still get the
odd 'why doesn't this pl/pgsql function work?' type email. If you have a
suggestion to solve all of this, then I'd be happy to hear it!! :-)

Regards, Dave.

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:56:08 -0300 (ADT)

> The *only* design change is to make it non-fixed width (which some ppl

Myself being one of them ... the site sucks royally in non-fixed-width if
you making your browser too wide :(

> suggestion to solve all of this, then I'd be happy to hear it!! :-)

Point it to [email-masked]? :)

Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:17:41 -0400 (EDT)

> suggestion to solve all of this, then I'd be happy to hear it!! :-)

Create a file with a standard reply, and use it when you get such
questions.  Here is mine:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to time constraints, I do not directly answer general PostgreSQL
questions.  For assistance, please join the appropriate mailing list and
post your question:

	http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge

You can also try the #postgresql IRC channel on irc.freenode.net.  See
the PostgreSQL FAQ for more information.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---

From: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:52:32 -0000

> Yes, 18 months or so ago. There was lots of discussion on this list and
 
Sorry, I was not talking about that redesign, but the one that is still
in the wings. I knew that getting rid of fixed-width was one of the
latest changes, so when I see fixed-width, I see it as not being
recently changed.
 
> There sits someone who has never had that address pointing
> to their inbox! Without the box, we got lots of messages
> complaining that ppl didn't know how to contact the webmasters
> (yes, I know!), so I added the box.
 
How about a web form that points people to the right spot? Perhaps
linked with a simple "contact us" hyperlink.
 
> There is, but the main focus of that is supporting multiple languages.
 
Is this the one with the major overhaul of the underlying PHP? My
recollection was that we are waiting for this to be put into place before
any other minor or major changes can be made. Is this true, and do we
have an estimated time for the switch to occur?
 
Thanks,
- --
Greg Sabino Mullane [email-masked]
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200404150648

---

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 15:38:26 +0400

Hi!

> have an estimated time for the switch to occur?

This is true, we have some tasks to complete
http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgweb/task/tasklist.php
the tasks are the ones starting with 'portal'

I didn't have time to work on this myself, but am going to restart the 
work now.

As for the estimate, I'd say it is Really Soon Now.