Subject: Design Rough

From: "Gavin M. Roy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 15:53:43 -0700

This is a very rough concept of an idea I've been toying with for the 
new site.  Feedback is requested so I can fine tune it.  I'm working on 
a homepage version of it.

http://ehpg.net/~gavinr/pgsql/template.html

Gavin

---

From: Michael Glaesemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 09:01:52 +0900

On May 13, 2004, at 7:53 AM, Gavin M. Roy wrote:

> new site.  Feedback is requested so I can fine tune it.  I'm working 
> on a homepage version of it.
>

I just wanna say Yes! (in the words of Molly Bloom). Sweet, Gavin!

What a wonderful thing to wake up to!

I'll test it in Safari 1.2.1 (v125.1).

One initial possible Safari bug:
Right now the Advertisement box encroaches on the PostgreSQL banner 
area when it first loads. As soon as I mouse over the sidenav, it 
shifts down so the top of the Advertisement box lines up with the top 
of PostgreSQL 7.4.2 Documentation

I'll continue testing and post more comments later.

Thanks, Gavin!

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

---

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 10:29:48 +0400

Hi!

> http://ehpg.net/~gavinr/pgsql/template.html

Looks cool!

Now on to the problems:
1) I suggest doing a fixed (in pt, probably) font-size. Current 'small' has very 
different sizes in MSIE 6 and Mozilla (OK in Mozilla, too big in MSIE).
2) Top menu should have a means to highlight the current position. Can you also 
paly with making it in some sort of tabs?
3) Search box, mirror selection, language selection.

---

From: Michael Glaesemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 15:53:56 +0900

On May 13, 2004, at 3:29 PM, Alexey Borzov wrote:

> Now on to the problems:
> 1) I suggest doing a fixed (in pt, probably) font-size. Current 
> 'small' has very different sizes in MSIE 6 and Mozilla (OK in Mozilla, 
> too big in MSIE).

I strongly recommend *not* using fixed font sizes. As an alternative, 
I'd suggest using alternative style sheets and a css-style switcher. If 
people find it too big (or too small), they can easily change the size 
for themselves. Using fixed point sizes is a definite strike against 
accessibility. Using fixed font sizes prevents people from resizing the 
font size using their browsers, among other things.

Here are a couple of links for different css style switching 
implementations. They can be used, of course, to do much more than just 
change font size.

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/alternate/
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/n4switch/

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

---

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 13:28:01 +0400

Hi!

> font size using their browsers, among other things.

1) Modern browsers are perfectly capable of resizing the fonts if there 
sizes are set in points.
2) Browsers have wildly different ideas about what 'small' and 'x-small' 
are. That's why the menu on current PostgreSQL site is readable in some 
browsers and completely unreadable in others. Do we want repeating it?