Subject: Small suggestion

From: David Fetter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:05:24 -0700

Kind people,

I'd like to propose putting a link to

irc://irc.freenode.net/postgresql

somewhere near the top of the front page of www.postgresql.org?  I
think it would help newcomers quite a bit.

What do you all think?

Cheers,
D
-- 
David Fetter [email-masked] http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Jul 2004 09:22:38 -0400

> think it would help newcomers quite a bit.

Honestly? I think people using irc are a dieing breed :-)

People are probably better off going through the lists anyway, since it
exposes them to a wider list of helpers and their problems get archived
for others who follow. I do think we should have a mention in the FAQ
(which I think we do) and possible a link in the "lists" section since
it seems to most resemble a "get help" section... 

Robert Treat
-- 
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: David Fetter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:15:53 -0700

> Honestly? I think people using irc are a dieing breed :-)

Everybody who is not already dead is dying.  Was there some point you
had to make here?

> People are probably better off going through the lists anyway, since
> it exposes them to a wider list of helpers and their problems get
> archived for others who follow. I do think we should have a mention
> in the FAQ (which I think we do) and possible a link in the "lists"
> section since it seems to most resemble a "get help" section... 

Something like "For quick, free help on-line, try
irc://irc.freenode.net/postgresql" doesn't interfere with any of
this, and it would help some people.  Redundant, heterogeneous systems
are good.

Cheers,
D

Remember to vote!

---

From: "Gavin M. Roy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 11:10:32 -0700

>>Honestly? I think people using irc are a dieing breed :-)
A conservative guess based upon the top 10 networks alone is that there 
are approximately half a million people who use IRC daily. 

Gavin

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 10:38:18 -0400 (EDT)

> think it would help newcomers quite a bit.

Uh, it is already mentioned in the FAQ.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---

From: David Fetter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 08:08:46 -0700

> Uh, it is already mentioned in the FAQ.

Under the current design, the FAQ is not easy for newbies to find,
where the top of www.postgresql.org is.

I really didn't expect this to be controversial.  Would somebody just
put the blasted thing up there, or give me the needed permissions to
do same?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

---

From: "Fred Moyer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 05:39:29 -0700 (PDT)

> where the top of www.postgresql.org is.
I agree the FAQ is not the easiest link to find even though it is at the
end of the first paragraph on the docs page.  The link does not stand out,
and while someone familiar with the site may be able to find it easily a
deer-in-the-headlights newbie may have more of a challenge.  Additionally
a newbie may try the User section first before going to Docs.

The link to IRC is buried though, here is the path I took to find it
knowing only the information I read in this thread.

Home->Docs->FAQS(end of first paragraph on docs
page)->RegionalFAQ->(browser search for IRC).

Perhaps replace the section
"Tech Support requests to this address will be ignored!" on the right nav
with "Click here for tech support!" which links to IRC info?

Regards,

Fred

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 10:01:21 -0300 (ADT)

Would it be an idea to put the FAQ itself a bit more prominently on the 
front page?

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Fred Moyer wrote:

> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>      subscribe-nomail command to [email-masked] so that your
>      message can get through to the mailing list cleanly
>

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: David Fetter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 07:53:06 -0700

> Would it be an idea to put the FAQ itself a bit more prominently on the 

That would be a good thing, too.  Putting the IRC link up top doesn't
exclude this :)

Cheers,
D
> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [email-masked])

Remember to vote!