Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Help speeding up delete

From: "Magnus Hagander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:39:06 +0100

> >>That way if someone wanted to upgrade from 7.2 to 8.1, they 
> can just 
> >>grab the latest dumper from the website, dump their old 
> database, then 
> >>upgrade easily.
> > 
> > But if they're upgrading to 8.1, don't they already have the new 
> > pg_dump? How else are they going to dump their *new* database?
> 
> Erm.  Usually when you install the new package/port for 8.1, 
> you cannot have both new and old installed at the same time 
> man.  Remember they both store exactly the same binary files 
> in exactly the same place.

Urrk. Didn't think of that. I always install from source on Unix, which
doesn't have the problem. And the Windows port doesn't have this problem
- it will put the binaries in a version dependant directory.

One could claim the packages are broken ;-), but that's not gonig to
help here, I know...

(I always install in pgsql-<version>, and then symlink pgsql there..)

> >>etc.  (Seriously.) In fact, few realise at all that they should use 
> >>the 8.1 dumper.
> > 
> > That most people don't know they should use the new one I 
> understand 
> > though. But I don't see how this will help against that :-)
> 
> It'll make it easy...

You assume they know enough to download it. If they don't know to look
for it, they still won't find it.

But the bottom line: I can see how it would be helpful if you're on a
distro which packages postgresql in a way that prevents you from
installing more than one version at the same time.

//Magnus

---

From: Svenne Krap <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:26:51 +0100

>for it, they still won't find it.
I think there should be a big, fat warning in the release notes. 
Something like:

WARNING: Upgrading to version X.Y requires a full dump/restore cycle. 
Please download the appropriate dump-utility from http://postgresql.org/dumputils/X.Y/ 
and make a copy of your database before installing the new version X.Y.

And then link to a dir with the statically linked pg_dump (and -all) for 
the most common platforms. I must admit, I did not know that one should 
use the new tool in a cyclus (and I have used Pg almost exclusively 
since 7.0). That could also be the place to add a line about version S.T 
is now considered obsolete and unsupported.

/Svenne