Subject: slowness with holdable cursor

From: "Andrea Grassi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:33:49 +0200

Hi.
I have a problem of fastness with "declare xxx cursor WITH HOLD". My
postgres version is 7.4.6
I have a table with 20000 rows named "base_a_artico"

If I use "declare a cursor with hold for select cdart,descr from
base_a_artico" outside a transaction I wait 2 seconds.
If I use the same statement (or the similar without "WITH HOLD") inside a
trasaction, I wait only 4 msec (milliseconds) !!!
I don't understand why this happens ....
I have to set some parameters in the postgresql.conf ?

thanks

Andrea Grassi

Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica sono di
natura confidenziale; qualsiasi pubblicazione, utilizzo o diffusione anche
parziale dello stesso non può essere effettuata senza autorizzazione e
potrebbe costituire un illecito penale ai sensi del Decreto Legs.vo N°
196/2003 sulla Protezione dei Dati Personali e del Codice Penale, Art.
617-621-635 bis oltre che della legge 547/93. Qualora non siate tra i
legittimi destinatari di questa e-mail Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
cancellarla dal Vostro sistema dopo aver notificato al mittente, rispondendo
alla comunicazione, l'errore da questi commesso.

---

From: Devrim GUNDUZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:15:45 +0300

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 11:33 +0200, Andrea Grassi wrote:
> I have a problem of fastness with "declare xxx cursor WITH HOLD".

This list is intended for PostgreSQL.org website issues. Please ask your
question to another list.

Regards,
-- 
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc. 1.503.667.4564
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support
Managed Services, Shared and Dedicated Hosting
Co-Authors: PL/php, plPerlNG - http://www.commandprompt.com/