Subject: Pentabarf instance for pgDays?

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 15:55:46 -0800

All,

SFPUG will soon need to organize a pgDay at OSCON.  We'd like to have a 
Pentabarf (www.pentabarf.org) instance somewhere on a PostgreSQL.org 
server which we and other UGs could use to organize mini-conferences.

(the Drupal system set up on pugs.postgresql.org isn't worth fixing 
according to Selena)

Dan Langille knows the bugaboos of setting this up, and can help with 
advice.

We'd want to have the system by April; if that's not going to be 
possible on www.postgresql.org, then SFPUG should make other plans, so 
say so.

--Josh Berkus

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 11:31:18 -0700

> server which we and other UGs could use to organize mini-conferences.

Should I take the silence on this as a "the WWW group isn't interested 
in hosting conference software, figure out something on your own"?

--Josh

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 18:38:24 +0000

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Josh Berkus <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Pentabarf (www.pentabarf.org) instance somewhere on a PostgreSQL.org server
>> which we and other UGs could use to organize mini-conferences.
>
> Should I take the silence on this as a "the WWW group isn't interested in
> hosting conference software, figure out something on your own"?

This part of the WWW group doesn't have the spare cycles at the
moment, but he does know that another part of the group lost a
not-insignificant amount of hair trying (and failing) to get Pentabarf
working in the past. I think the conclusion was that it was a fairly
hideous and unsupportable piece of software.

-- 
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK:   http://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 19:43:16 +0100

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> SFPUG will soon need to organize a pgDay at OSCON.  We'd like to have
>> a Pentabarf (www.pentabarf.org) instance somewhere on a PostgreSQL.org

Meh, I thought I responded to that one. But since I can't find my own
response in sent items, I think I must've forgotten.

Anyway, here's what I was *planning* to say:

In general, that would probably be a good idea. I tried doing that for
the pgday.eu conference last year, and failed miserably at getting it
running *at all*. Another requirement would be to make it integrate with
community logins. IIRC I found some docs on how to do it, but since I
couldn't even get it running *at all*, I didn't get that far.

So. If somebody can get it installed and make it integrate with
community logins, I'm for doing this on a community server. However, I
myself have tried and failed to get it running, so it will have to be
somebody with more knowledge. I'll be happy to help with what I can.

//Magnus

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 12:16:33 -0700

Magnus,

> somebody with more knowledge. I'll be happy to help with what I can.

I could get it running, but integration with community logins would be 
beyond me; like other single-developer projects, PB code is largely 
unreadable (and is Rails to boot).  I can ask Stefan (the PB developer) 
if he's willing to help.

If he's *not* willing/able to help, does anyone know another package we 
can use?  The Drupal stuff Selena cooked up doesn't integrate with CLs 
either, and is about 50 hours of development from being usable.

--Josh

---

From: "David E. Wheeler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 12:53:03 -0700

On Mar 15, 2009, at 12:16 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> If he's *not* willing/able to help, does anyone know another package  
> we can use?  The Drupal stuff Selena cooked up doesn't integrate  
> with CLs either, and is about 50 hours of development from being  
> usable.

What's Dan using for pgcon.org?

Best,

David

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 13:27:26 -0700

> What's Dan using for pgcon.org?

Pentabarf I believe.

Joshua D. Drake

-- 
PostgreSQL - XMPP: [email-masked]
   Consulting, Development, Support, Training
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 13:28:45 -0700

> either, and is about 50 hours of development from being usable.

I would note that an easy way to handle this is to do it all through
Google Calendar. There is a module for Drupal that allows you to
integrate with Google Calendar as well.

Joshua D. Drake

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 14:38:26 -0700

Josh,

> integrate with Google Calendar as well.

Is Google Calendar prepared to handle multiple talk submissions and 
voting on them?

--Josh

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 09:01:13 +0100

On 15 mar 2009, at 20.16, Josh Berkus <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I could get it running, but integration with community logins would  
> be beyond me; like other single-developer projects, PB code is  
> largely unreadable (and is Rails to boot).  I can ask Stefan (the PB  
> developer) if he's willing to help.

I can be wrong since this was some time ago, but I think I saw some  
type of docs - or maybe just a 3rd party blog post - about how to do  
it. But it could be some other package.

Either way it's important it is/can be done in a maintainable way. So  
we can keep up with security fixed etc.

> with CLs either, and is about 50 hours of development from being  
There is a login integration plugin for drupal. I wrote one for back  
before we gave up on drupal for the eu site. It may be version  
dependent but not much I think...

Can't comment about the rest of the package she worked on since I  
haven't seen it :)

/Magnus

---

From: "Gavin M. Roy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 10:10:37 -0400

How is the auth setup currently?  I can ask some RoR people I know.

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 4:01 AM, Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> unreadable (and is Rails to boot).  I can ask Stefan (the PB developer) if
>> he's willing to help.
>
> I can be wrong since this was some time ago, but I think I saw some type of
> docs - or maybe just a 3rd party blog post - about how to do it. But it
> could be some other package.
>
> Either way it's important it is/can be done in a maintainable way. So we can
> keep up with security fixed etc.
>
>
> There is a login integration plugin for drupal. I wrote one for back before
> we gave up on drupal for the eu site. It may be version dependent but not
> much I think...
>
> Can't comment about the rest of the package she worked on since I haven't
> seen it :)
>
> /Magnus
>
>
> --
> Sent via pgsql-www mailing list ([email-masked])
> To make changes to your subscription:
> http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-www
>

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:05:53 -0700

> Is Google Calendar prepared to handle multiple talk submissions and 

I think you know the answer to that. You didn't specify that voting was
one of your requirements (or I didn't see it). Anyway, I am pretty sure
Drupal is the closest you are going to get to what you want.

Joshua D. Drake

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:47:19 +0200

> unreadable (and is Rails to boot).  I can ask Stefan (the PB developer)

The alternative is to ask for help from other *users* of Pentabarf.  For 
example, the Debconf people.

> either, and is about 50 hours of development from being usable.

I think you will find that Pentabarf plus some work of your own is the best 
solution out there, versus something else plus a lot more work, with uncertain 
outcome.

---

From: Magnus Hagander <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:25:41 +0100

> solution out there, versus something else plus a lot more work, with  

Agreed. Hopefully there is at least some isolation of where you need  
to modify things.

If not, many such systems can be tricked by using rules in the  
database. But that's really a last resort kind if thing.

/Magnus