Subject: Interesting comment on the home page

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:01:45 -0700

WWW Folks,

 From Bruce's blog:

============

I would put a simple description on the most visible part of the page, 
currently occupied by "PostgreSQL updates released". Ok, that is 
important, but to a newbie it looks like "hmm... I don't know what 
PostgreSQL is but I need to upgrade it already?"

I would put a link to the latest documentation (and to the Tutorial and 
Installation sections too) on the homepage. Currently the shortest path 
to Tutorial is 4 click away. The documentation of the PostgreSQL project 
is one of it's strongest sides, and it should easier to access.

I would put direct links to the latest packages. The current "Latest 
Releases" section is quite baffling - there are links to the notes, but 
not to the source/packages?

I guess I'm not complete, but that's what I would do at first glance.

---

From: Dave Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 19:12:07 +0000

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 7:01 PM, Josh Berkus <[email-masked]> wrote:
> currently occupied by "PostgreSQL updates released". Ok, that is important,
> but to a newbie it looks like "hmm... I don't know what PostgreSQL is but I
> need to upgrade it already?"

Not sure what can be done about that with the current layout.

> Installation sections too) on the homepage. Currently the shortest path to
> Tutorial is 4 click away. The documentation of the PostgreSQL project is one
> of it's strongest sides, and it should easier to access.

1 click to the documentation index, one to the desired version, and
one to the tutorial section. It's only a difference of 1, but I don't
think we can put everything on the front page.

> Releases" section is quite baffling - there are links to the notes, but not
> to the source/packages?

There is a bold 'Download' link, directly under the list of current
versions. Because we have different types of packages for different
platforms for each version, there's no easy way to do per-version
links to 'source/packages' - doing so would lead to horrendous clutter
(believe me, I've tried). Instead, the download link (as well as the
one on the top level navigation menu) links to the carefully
thought-out downloads page which guides people to exactly what they
need.

-- 
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK:   http://www.enterprisedb.com

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 14:28:03 -0700

> think we can put everything on the front page.

We shouldn't. If anything we should look at things to take off the front
page.

Joshua D. Drake

-- 
PostgreSQL - XMPP: [email-masked]
   Consulting, Development, Support, Training
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997