Subject: Re: Files on their way

From: Michael Glaesemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:15:00 +0900

On Wednesday, November 12, 2003, at 04:48 AM, Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai 
wrote:

> -On [20031111 20:42], Andreas Grabmüller ([email-masked]) wrote:
>> Well, I have uploaded it, it's just not really working ;)
>> http://wwwdevel2.postgresql.org/en/index.htm

I'd say it's not working at all! :) Hopefully some of this will be 
fixed in in the files I resent.

> The CSS is messed up for Opera.

What version are you running?

> You have additional white pixels in the sidebars.
>
> Also the center column is shifted by about another column's breadth to
> the right.

There's also some buggy behavior in Mac IE5.2—it adds an extra blank 
column width on the right.

> Advice, make hefty use of explicit:
>
> padding:	0px
> margin:		0px
<snip/>
> Not every browser treats missing/omitted padding and/or margin as 0.

Good advice. I added a quick body { padding:0; margin:0 } and for the 
other non-id'd or unclassified tags as well. That should bring 
everything down to 0 unless explicitly declared elsewhere, though there 
might be inheritance issues that need to be addressed directly.

Michael

---

From: Michael Glaesemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:34:29 +0900

> The CSS is messed up for Opera.

Also, I believe (at least earlier versions) of Opera share a CSS 
parsing bug with MSIE4/5. This bug is exploited to compensate for 
MSIE's different interpretation of the CSS box model, and I may have to 
massage the CSS a bit for Opera in this case. I don't know if this 
particular behavior is responsible for what your seeing.

On a better note, the version I'm seeing at 
http://wwwdevel2.postgresql.org/en/index.htm matches what I'm seeing 
locally. May have been a cache issue on my end, as I don't know if 
Andreas has had time to put up the files I sent. I'll do some testing 
in Opera tonight after work.

Michael

---

From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:29:44 +0100

-On [20031112 04:22], Michael Glaesemann ([email-masked]) wrote:

[Opera]

>What version are you running?

7.2x

-- 
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai(at)wxs.nl> / asmodai / kita no mono
PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://www.in-nomine.org/~asmodai/diary/
Honesty is the first chapter of the book of wisdom...

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 09:39:55 -0800

Folks,

Report back:

(all of the below are on Linux):
Konqueror 3.0.3: bad.  There is a broad white space in the center, with all 
center elements shoved to the right, as if we have a 2-column table and all 
content is in the right column.   This is probably a CSS bug in Konqueror, 
but bodes poorly for Safari.

Mozilla 1.0.1:  Good, even when I shrink the browser.  Only problem is that 
"grey box" text is too small (it's not too small on Konqueror) -- it appears 
about 7pt.

Galeon 1.2.5:  Identical in appearance to Mozilla 1.0.1

Right Side Bar, all browsers:  The link/headers for each item do not center 
with the descriptive text; they are about 2 characters to the left.

Survery, all browsers:  The survey radio buttons do not line up, instead 
forming a zig-zag.

Will try on later versions of the same browsers, above, later today.

-- 
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---

From: Michael Glaesemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 04:49:02 +0900

> Report back:

Josh, thanks for taking the time to view these on the different 
browsers.

> content is in the right column.

There was a problem with the GBorg section on the left causing the 
GBorg text to push the center column to the right. Does that look like 
what you're seeing? I've fixed it (there was a misplaced </div>, if I 
recall correctly.)

> This is probably a CSS bug in Konqueror,

Actually, Safari handles it quite well. (Though see notes below.) I 
generally design initially using Safari and Mozilla. Am now using Opera 
quite a bit more as I see Opera is handling the table quite differently 
than Mozilla and Safari. There were large gaps between the columns: 
seems like there's an extra half-column between the left sidebar and 
the center, the center and right sidebar abut (which is good), and 
there's an extra column width after the right sidebar but before the 
border.

Got this pretty much fixed. There's still a 3px extra space between the 
right sidebar and the black table border, but I'll get to the bottom of 
that as well.

> "grey box" text is too small (it's not too small on Konqueror) -- it 

Too small text is a problem. The Latest News and Upcoming Events boxes 
(those the ones you mean?) are set to "x-small". I've bumped them up to 
small.

> with the descriptive text; they are about 2 characters to the left.

I'm assuming your speaking of the Websites section. I saw that in Opera 
(among others) and fixed it by zeroing out the padding and margin on 
the <dl>

> Survery, all browsers:  The survey radio buttons do not line up, 

Fixed. They were centered with some left margin/padding. The 
padding/margin has been zeroed and left-aligned.

> Will try on later versions of the same browsers, above, later today.

Unless Andreas wants me to send the files again, I'm going to work on 
them locally. I should have a host where I can post the files as I work 
on them.

Also, unless the Latest News and Upcoming Events are exactly balanced 
in terms of text length, you'll notice that one box may have a greater 
height than the other. What do people think of this? I'd like to 
eliminate it if I can.

Thanks again for the details, especially Konqueror.

MIchael