Subject: jobs.postgresql.org

From: Chris Bowlby <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:45:47 -0300

Hi All, 

 I'm attempting to polish off the last of the cleanups for the servers
here at hub and jobs.postgresql.org is one of the remaining VM's that
needs to be either upgraded or merged with an existing VM that has
already been upgraded. The upgraded VM's are currently he
svr*.postgresql.org VM's. Who's currently maintaining the site? Is it
being maintained? How long would it take to merge into the
www.postgresql.org VM? 

 Please let me know on the above so I can work on clearing off that VM
when your ready for it..
-- 
Chris Bowlby <[email-masked]>

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Aug 2003 16:58:38 -0400

Hey Chris, I think the only thing left up there is techdocs. I was going
to move it to the new VM but we never got zope working so it got pushed
back, and then Josh had said he was going to convert the site to
bricolage *any day now*, so i figured he could go ahead and do that. if
it is dragging you down i can try to finish turning everything into html
docs and moving it to the new vm (some could surely be incorporated into
the main site), but i have been really swamped as of late so hate to do
the work if it is going to be replaced with bric any time soon.
unfortunatly josh is out of town i think till next tuesday so not sure
what his status is on the bricolage transfer. actually i still owe marc
a look at some of those databases :-( unless they've been deleted
already... 

Robert Treat  

-- 
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Chris Bowlby <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 00:00:16 -0300

At 03:45 PM 8/27/03 -0300, Chris Bowlby wrote:

  I guess no one is looking after jobs.postgresql.org?

>---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
>TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to [email-masked]

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 04:38:47 -0300 (ADT)

I thought Francisco Reyes had step'd up to the plate for that .. no?

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Chris Bowlby wrote:

> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [email-masked])
>

---

From: Chris Bowlby <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 11:21:13 -0300

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 17:58, Robert Treat wrote:

 The sooner the better, as non-union VM's are not being backed up, they
are too large to do so, and we definatly don't want to run into the same
issues we had when the developers server bombed. Once the Vm's been
merged/converted the contents will be backed up giving us shorter
recovery times if the system crashes. From that stand-point I'm in a
rush :>

-- 
Chris Bowlby <[email-masked]>
Hub.Org Networking Services

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 10:00:31 -0700

Robert,

> a look at some of those databases :-( unless they've been deleted

We have a bricolage test site set up, but haven't done much with it because of 
my absence and Elein is busy.  Soon, really.  We just want to build a large 
portion of Techdocs on the test server before trying to port the real site.

A caution: we found that Bricolage is *very* difficult to install and may take 
several attempts and/or the direct involvement of David Wheeler to get it 
built on a BSD VM.

-- 
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 19:21:33 +0100 (BST)

It's rumoured that Josh Berkus once said:

> A caution: we found that Bricolage is *very* difficult to install and
> may take  several attempts and/or the direct involvement of David
> Wheeler to get it  built on a BSD VM.

That doesn't surprise me - Justin tried it once and couldn't get it to
work. It would be nice to use Bricolage however, and hopefully David will
be willing to help if there are problems.
Regards, Dave.

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:56:00 -0700

Speaking of Jobs.PostgreSQL.ORG:

Several people, over the last year, have offered to code something for 
jobs.postgresql.org, but nothing has come of it.

I had an interesting idea.   I know Craig Newmar personally; would people be 
interested in setting up jobs.postgresql.org as some sort of collaboration 
with craigslist.org?    This might spare us the challenge of setting up the 
technology, while allowing us to charge a token payment for listings.

-- 
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions
 San Francisco

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 16:00:42 -0400 (EDT)

> be willing to help if there are problems.

I have David's IM address if you want it.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:51:37 -0400

On Wednesday 03 September 2003 14:56, Josh Berkus wrote:
> I had an interesting idea.   I know Craig Newmar personally; would people
> be interested in setting up jobs.postgresql.org as some sort of
> collaboration with craigslist.org?    This might spare us the challenge of
> setting up the technology, while allowing us to charge a token payment for
> listings.

I'm not against it, though I really wonder if folks would actually pay to 

The "somethings better than nothing" fix: 

* add pgsql-jobs to mailing lists web page
* add pgsql-jobs to archives 
* remove bad information on techdocs jobs page, pointing folks to the mailing 
list pages, reminding them to search for postgre, postgres,postgresql,pgsql 
when searching job sites.
* put up announcement on main web page
* put notice in weekly news

Robert Treat

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 22:40:02 -0300 (ADT)

> * add pgsql-jobs to archives

done ... should have sub-pages in there in the next 20 minutes or so ...

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 18:45:02 -0700

Robert,

> I'm not against it, though I really wonder if folks would actually pay to 

Sure, why not?  Craigslist.org is entirely funded by job listings.

Also charging some kind of fee screens out the vapor and most of the 
agency-recruiters-in-sheeps-clothing.

> * put notice in weekly news

Sure, that sounds great as something we can do right now.

-- 
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions
 San Francisco

---

From: Francisco Reyes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:06:01 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

Coming very late into the topic..

> I thought Francisco Reyes had step'd up to the plate for that .. no?

I have been out of involvement with the jobs site for a long time.
According to the last messages I saw there was some discussion about
moving to a system developed by a company (sounded like a jobs site). Did
this ever come to pass?

I have two projects I am working on with a consultant. I should have time
by late december. This consultant has a framework we have been using and
he is very quick. I am going to ask him if he would be willing to let
outsiders see his framework. If the answer is yes I would be willing to
pay him to do an initial site and then we can have volunteers help
with the upkeep.

For the most part I think between him and me we could do all the work, but
we will need someone to help with the graphic design.

Would this approach be of interest?

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 09:23:35 -0800

Francisco,

> moving to a system developed by a company (sounded like a jobs site). Did

My company  may do this.  My PHP guru has done HR apps in the past, and may be 
willing to throw something up in exchange for publicity (i.e. 
"jobs.postgresql.org designed by Ascher Consulting").    

So please keep in touch; I figure whichever of us gets around to this first 
should do it.

-- 
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---

From: Francisco Reyes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:31:22 -0500 (EST)

> "jobs.postgresql.org designed by Ascher Consulting").

I really don't think I can work on this till mid to late december so if
you can take a jump start or do it go for it. Last time I think part of
the problem was too many ideas.

If I was to take this project I would do a design specification. Show it
on this list get feedback and then get it done. Different people want
different things out of the jobs site and trying to please everyone is
difficult at best.

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:35:52 -0800

Francisco,

> different things out of the jobs site and trying to please everyone is

That's why my company may "just do it"; we'll recycle existing code to make 
something that won't please everybody but will work.  Sometimes getting 
something done is more important that getting it exactly right.

Add this to the mix:  There is a private company which may be offering a 
service which will eliminate our need to do this at all.   Can't say more, 
but if all of us end up procrastinating until March, it may become a moot 
point.

-- 
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco