Subject: Web site headers and footers for page inclusion.

From: Wade Klaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:08:05 -0700

Hello All,
  I have this page for press release details almost wrapped up for Josh, but 
have a few questions about the way the web site goes together.  How are we 
handling the main site look and navigation?  Does every page in a site have 
the entire page header included in it?  If so, this makes keeping documents 
all current a nightmare.  If not, how is redundant content included in pages?  
SSI, PHP, etc?  Or do we stick with statically built pages until we have the 
collective time to make the move to a CMS?  The other issue is regarding 
press releases in languages for which we do not have a *.postgresql.org 
translation for.  Any suggestions for handling this?  Default to English and 
get branded as "Amerocentric"?  Provide them as plain text?  I am open to 
suggestions here.
-- 
Wade Klaver
Wavefire Technologies Corporation
GPG Public Key at http://archeron.wavefire.com

/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  .
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail .
/ \ -----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:03:52 +0100 (BST)

It's rumoured that Wade Klaver once said:
> have a few questions about the way the web site goes together.  How are
> we  handling the main site look and navigation?  Does every page in a
> site have  the entire page header included in it?  If so, this makes
> keeping documents  all current a nightmare.  If not, how is redundant
> content included in pages?   SSI, PHP, etc?  Or do we stick with
> statically built pages until we have the  collective time to make the
> move to a CMS?

Wade, please take a look at the code in the pgweb prject on GBorg.
Essentially the page layout is currently in most files, but the menus,
sidebars and colours come from php includes. There are existing release
notices you can use as a template - I beleive Robert produced some.
> The other issue is regarding  press releases in
> languages for which we do not have a *.postgresql.org  translation for.
>  Any suggestions for handling this?  Default to English and  get
> branded as "Amerocentric"?  Provide them as plain text?  I am open to
> suggestions here.

Default to English and have links to translations accross the bottom. Or,
bung the release notice on the Advocacy site. As you know, the main site
currently is English only, though Andreas is working onthat.
Regards, Dave