Subject: 'Official' Interfaces

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:50:02 +0100

Hi Guys,

It's been brought to my attention that there is no mechanism in place to
allow people to recognise the best or 'official' PostgreSQL interfaces,
and I don't just mean those in the core distribution, but those that we
consider the best of their type such a psqlODBC, libpqxx, Npgsql and so
on.

Obviously we can list them on a webpage, but what criteria could we use
to select them?

Any thoughts/comments/ideas?

Regards, Dave.

---

From: Justin Clift <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:19:00 +0800

> Obviously we can list them on a webpage, but what criteria could we use

We should probably start with the commonly used interfaces and have a 
note on the page asking people to advise us of the others.  Then we 
should email the link to the pgsql-general mailing list and people there 
will suggest most of the things we've otherwise missed.

Hope that helps.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 20:38:05 -0400 (EDT)

> Obviously we can list them on a webpage, but what criteria could we use

I talked to the JDBC guys about this already.  What we need is a section
in the documentation about the various interfaces that are not
distributed with PostgreSQL, where to find them, and how they differ,
e.g. how are the perl interfaces and c++ interfaces different.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073