Subject: Re: 'Official' Interfaces

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:42:36 +0100

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Justin Clift [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 25 September 2003 11:19
> To: Dave Page
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] 'Official' Interfaces
> 
> We should probably start with the commonly used interfaces and have a 
> note on the page asking people to advise us of the others.  Then we 
> should email the link to the pgsql-general mailing list and 
> people there 
> will suggest most of the things we've otherwise missed.

Hi Justin,

How do we decide which ones to make as official though? There are
currently 2 .NET interfaces out there for example, of which one (Npgsql)
is the official PostgreSQL provider in the Mono source tree (official as
far as Mono is concerned). There has been at least one ODBC driver fork
that I know of, and that was hosted on Gborg as the primary one is.

It seems sensible to point users at one project only - I don't think we
want a situation like MySQL where iirc there used to be a number of
different ODBC drivers, JDBC drivers and OLEDB providers leaving users
confused over which one to choose.

Regards, Dave.

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:22:41 -0300 (ADT)

why not a simple "poll" listing the interfaces, and based on votes (ie. #
of ppl using that interface), it rises to the top of the lists?  Let usage
denote "best" ... if it isn't, nobody would be using it, would they?

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Dave Page wrote:

> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [email-masked])
>