Subject: Re: [HACKERS] http://www.pgsql.com/register/submit.php

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:28:06 +0100

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Hannu Krosing [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 13 October 2003 18:00
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: PostgreSQL Development
> Subject: Re: [HACKERS] http://www.pgsql.com/register/submit.php
> 
> Do we need special NOTICE for French users telling them "In 
> case you have entered some personal data you can access it by 
> doing a SELECT query" after each INSERT/UPDATE to be legally 
> sound in France ?

No more so than would be required under the Data Protection Act in the
UK, but as the project and pgsql.com servers are neither in France or
the UK, the content on them doesn't have to comply with those laws -
though in the interests of privacy and general good practice we should
probably try to do so.

Of course, the mirrors are a different issue altogether. Currently I
guess it's up to the mirror operators to let us know if anything doesn't
comply with their local laws.

Regards, Dave.

---

From: Jean-Michel POURE <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 22:39:30 +0200

Le Lundi 13 Octobre 2003 21:28, Dave Page a écrit :
> the UK, the content on them doesn't have to comply with those laws.

RedHat is a French company in France (as well as Mandrake). The law does not 
care for the location of servers, mirrors, etc... If a French company asks to 
register, it shall obey the laws. PostgreSQL inc. is not at stake here.

> though in the interests of privacy and general good practice we should

Agreed. Good practice is the beginning of democracy.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel