Subject: Changes to Contributor List

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 13:48:48 -0800

Folks,

If possible, for the upcoming release we'd like to get the Contributor List on 
developer.postgresql.org updated.   Can everyone please take a gander at:
http://developer.postgresql.org/bios.php

... and tell me what's out of date other than me & Vadim?   i.e.:

A) What contributors are missing from the list?
B) What contributors are listed under Major Developers who haven't contributed 
any code since 7.1.0?
C) Who needs their e-mail address updated?  
D) Who needs their description updated?  (Text, please ... I won't write it)

-- 
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions
 San Francisco

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 14:16:48 -0800

Tom,

> I think we had agreed that formerly-listed contributors would not be
> deleted, but would be moved to a new section titled "Contributors
> Emeritus" or some such.  Please make sure that Tom Lockhart and Vadim
> get listed that way, at least.

Yeah, I was thinking of moving them from "Major Contributors" to just 
"Contributors".   We'd rather have a "Past Contributors"?

-- 
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions
 San Francisco

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 17:16:51 -0500

Josh Berkus <[email-masked]> writes:
> B) What contributors are listed under Major Developers who haven't
> contributed any code since 7.1.0?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 17:25:23 -0500 (EST)

> get listed that way, at least.

Yes, I think we are going to use that Emeritus list only for special
contributors who aren't involved any more.  I think Brian ??? would be a
good addition too.  He was around during 1.X and 6.X. Marc?  Remember?

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---

From: Jan Wieck <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 17:26:15 -0500

> D) Who needs their description updated?  (Text, please ... I won't write it)

Jan Wieck in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, ([email-masked],
<a href="http://www.afilias.info">Afilias USA INC.</a>)

overhauled the query rewrite rule system, wrote our procedural languages
PL/pgSQL and PL/Tcl and many other complex features like TOAST.

Jan

-- 
#======================================================================#
# It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than for being right. #
# Let's break this rule - forgive me.                                  #
#================================================== [email-masked] #

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 17:26:29 -0500 (EST)

> get listed that way, at least.

I think the "Emeritus" word might be too hard for non-native English
speakers, and even for less educated English speakers.

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 14:27:07 -0800

Guys,

Oh, and how about we kill the Image Map of major developers?   It's about 4 
years out of date, and makes developers.postgresql.org load like molasses in 
January.

-- 
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions
 San Francisco

---

From: elein <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 14:35:12 -0800

emeritus is a perfectly good latin word.  No need to
dumb things down.

--elein

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 05:26:29PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
>       joining column's datatypes do not match

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 17:36:05 -0500 (EST)

> years out of date, and makes developers.postgresql.org load like molasses in 

Agreed.  I think Jan is the only one who knows how to updated it.  Jan?

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 14:39:48 -0800

Tom,

> Yeah.  It was cute when we did it but it's overkill as a way of pointing
> out that we have a worldwide development community.  We can just say
> that...

I'll be happy to re-do it someday using OOo's imagemapper.   But not this week 
...

-- 
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions
 San Francisco

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 17:40:09 -0500

> Agreed.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Neil Conway <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 17:44:24 -0500

> years out of date, and makes developers.postgresql.org load like molasses in 

Personally, I don't really see the need for developer.postgresql.org
to be a separate sub-site. Since it is basically just a collection of
links to other resources (CVSweb, TODO list, devel docs build, etc.),
why not just make it a page or two on www.postgresql.org?

-Neil

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 00:10:37 +0100 (CET)

> http://developer.postgresql.org/bios.php

One thing that really puzzles me is this web page:

http://advocacy.postgresql.org/about/

This is sort of the same web page that we're talking about here, but it
lists the developers below the press contacts as also-rans.  What's worse,
this is the web page that people will get to if they go to if they go to
http://www.postgresql.org and click on the first link they see: "What
is...".  Don't get me wrong, press contacts and advocacy team deserve
recognition as well, but not on a page that is indirectly labelled "What
is PostgreSQL".  It makes it look like the project is run by marketing
dudes.

-- 
Peter Eisentraut   [email-masked]

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 00:18:40 +0100 (CET)

> why not just make it a page or two on www.postgresql.org?

I agree to that.  The best way to get people involved is if we have an
integrated presentation of the project.  That is, users, developers,
marketing, documentation, web mastering, translation, whatever.  Right
now, the developers sit in their own corner, and users think, "These
people can't even be bothered to present relevant information in the main
web site; they don't want me."  The marketing people sit in another
corner, and apparently their marketing strategy is "make the marketing
site look as much unlike anything else in the project as possible".  And,
well, all the other people don't sit anywhere, because the main site
understands itself as a portal, and there is no obvious way that other
groups can integrate.

Check out www.debian.org or www.freebsd.org to see what I mean.
Everything is there at one glance, everything looks the same, everyone is
invited everywhere.

---

From: Andrew Dunstan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 18:24:36 -0500

>speakers, and even for less educated English speakers.

Rupert Murdoch once sacked an editor (over the Hitler Diaries forgery 
fiasco) by giving him the title of "Editor Emeritus". The editor asked 
what it meant and Murdoch is reported to have replied "It's Latin, 
Frank. The 'e' means you're out and the 'meritus' means you deserve it."

:-)

cheers

andrew

---

From: Gaetano Mendola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 02:53:15 +0100

> D) Who needs their description updated?  (Text, please ... I won't write it)

Who is eligible to be a "contributor" ?
Who wrote a single line of code that now is inside Postgres?
Who discovered a "major" bug ?
Who partecipate actively to all discussions ?

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

---

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 10:03:42 +0800

> speakers, and even for less educated English speakers.

Isn't that an even better reason to use it? :)

Chris

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 18:56:25 -0800

> Isn't that an even better reason to use it? :)

My personal opinion would be that they can use dictionary.com if they 
don't know what it means.

> TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to [email-masked]

---

From: "Paulo Scardine" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:00:45 -0200

Emeritus is verbatin from Latin and is really very spread into most Western
languages.

--
Paulo Scardine

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 08:50:57 -0500 (EST)

> Isn't that an even better reason to use it? :)

That reminds me of this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

        0x0d2C
      ==========

May your signals all trap
    May your references be bounded
All memory aligned
    Floats to ints rounded

Remember ...

Non-zero is true
    ++ adds one
Arrays start with zero
and, NULL is for none

For octal, use zero
    0x means hex
= will set
    == means test

use -> for a pointer
    a dot if its not
? : is confusing
    use them a lot         <----

a.out is your program
        there's no U in foobar
and, char (*(*x())[])() is
        a function returning a pointer
        to an array of pointers to
        functions returning char

  -- Jon S. Stumpf