Subject: Re: gforge

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 19:23:27 -0000

Hi Chris,

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Chris Ryan [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 01 December 2003 18:26
> To: Dave Page; Robert Treat; Marc G. Fournier
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] gforge
> 
>     With respect to GBorg vs GForge, or any other project 
> hosting site infrastructure for that matter, it is my firm 
> belief that you should do what is best for the PostgreSQL 
> community. Which is best? I am sure everyone will have their 
> own opinions about that along with the merits and 
> disadvantages to each choice. If the choice is made to move 
> away from GBorg I would fully understand and offer my 
> assistance in any migration effort possible to another system.

I can understand and respect the wish of some ppl to move to another
infrastructure. We are reliant upon you, and if you do not have the time
to commit (which is completely understandable), then we should not
disadvantage the users (that probably sounds more harsh than is meant
but you get my drift :-) ).

That said, the upheaval of moving systems is also likely to cause
massive problems. The inconvenience and pain that this would almost
certainly cause must be weighed against the features you are unable to
work on.

>     As for the direct development and maintenance of GBorg I 
> often just simply lack the time to do anything beyond simple 
> maintenance and some of the smaller enhancements requested by 
> users. One of my biggest things I've been wanting to do it 
> enhance the admin screens for project approval and turn that 
> over to this list in the same manner that the news and events 
> is currently done. If GBorg is to stay around some changes 
> like that would be great to try and involve more people than 
> just myself into the process. I could also come up with a 
> list of things people have asked for in the past that could 
> be worked on.

Whilst I cannot commit any programming time, if there is any maintenance
or similar work I can help out with then please let me know. Gborg is
the only one of our VMs I don't have root on so adding another probably
won't hurt!!

On the subject of admin pages, the news/events ones are fairly hacked
together. Don't be afraid to release similar pages on Gborg to relieve
the workload - as long as there are suitable warnings about any quirks
on them I'm sure we can cope.

Regards, Dave.

---

From: Chris Ryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:49:11 -0800 (PST)

> certainly cause must be weighed against the features you are unable

    I agree. The effort/pain in a migration should be a significant
factor from all aspects. I never meant to imply otherwise.

> the only one of our VMs I don't have root on so adding another

    I don't actually know who has root access to that VM other than
myself, and I'm sure Marc, but I think having another person wouldn't
be a bad idea. If Marc is o.k. with you having that access on that
machine then so am I. I would also be happy to give you any overviews
on how the  site is generally laid out on the disk.

Chris Ryan

> Regards, Dave.

__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 19:01:47 -0400 (AST)

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Chris Ryan wrote:

> myself, and I'm sure Marc, but I think having another person wouldn't be
> a bad idea. If Marc is o.k. with you having that access on that machine
> then so am I. I would also be happy to give you any overviews on how the
> site is generally laid out on the disk.

Go for it, but we really need to get gborg moved over to the new VM :(

Chris, how is your time this coming weekend?  Shouldn't take more then an
hour to setup and debug, but I don't know the code enough to do the move
myself ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664