Subject: PostgreSQL websites down?

From: Justin Clift <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 10:19:16 +1030

Hi everyone,

Are the postgresql.org websites down?

:-)

+ Justin

-- 
Executive Director
Digital Distribution Global Training Services Pty. Ltd.
Premier OpenOffice.org and StarOffice Online Training providers
http://www.digitaldistribution.com

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 20:13:55 -0400 (AST)

> Are the postgresql.org websites down?

yes and no ... GlobalCrossing had some major issues today, that, from
everything that I can tell, caused one helluva packet storm ... we were
getting 95% packet loss to our servers ... *sigh*

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 20:58:44 -0500 (EST)

> getting 95% packet loss to our servers ... *sigh*

Someone on IRC mentioned that everything was slow today, so that must
have been it.  I modified our IRC channel topics on EFNet and FreeNet
when the servers became unavailable, so if this ever happens in the
future, that would be a good place for people to look.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---

From: Justin Clift <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 14:01:19 +1030

Bruce Momjian wrote:
<snip>
> future, that would be a good place for people to look.

Would it be worth mentioning that somewhere that's end user visible?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 22:40:32 -0500 (EST)

> Would it be worth mentioning that somewhere that's end user visible?

When the main web site is down, where else can we mention it?  Or are
you saying we should mention that IRC is where we will disseminate
information when the main web site is down?

---

From: Justin Clift <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 23:10:29 +0800

Bruce Momjian wrote:
<snip>
> information when the main web site is down?

Well, I was just thinking that it would be nice to mention somewhere on 
the website that when the websites are down, we'll disseminate info 
through IRC.  Although that info won't be available when the websites 
are down, a lot of people should still see it and remember it.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 18:15:08 -0400 (AST)

> are down, a lot of people should still see it and remember it.

I just got ircII re-installed on my machine(s) so that I'll be on channels
more ... I *really* hate the GUI irc clients ...

----

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 01:08:18 -0500

> are down, a lot of people should still see it and remember it.

I had a discussion with someone once about starting a postgresql "chat room" 
on AIM... The theory was that if two people formed a room, anyone could join 
it, and as long as someone stays logged in it would hang around forever.  
Sort of like an irc chatroom but for the masses... 

Robert Treat
-- 
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 05:45:16 -0400 (AST)

> Sort of like an irc chatroom but for the masses...

The nice thing about standardizing on IRC is that you don't have to setup
"yet another IM account" to get access to it ... I'm up to Yahoo!, MSN and
ICQ as methods of getting ahold of me, I don't know what other ppl are all
connected to :)

 ----