Subject: UltraSQL for Windows released

From: Justin Clift <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:18:26 +0800

Hiyas,

Just noticed on the NuSphere site that it says UltraSQL for Windows is 
now available:

http://www.nusphere.com/products/#UltraSQL

Did that happen some time ago and I missed it, or is that something new?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Jan 2004 08:53:40 -0500

Does anyone have a contact person over there they could contact to find
out more? ISTM a lot of people would be interested in this.

Robert Treat

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 03:18, Justin Clift wrote:
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

-- 
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Justin Clift <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 23:25:54 +0800

> out more? ISTM a lot of people would be interested in this.

Not me.  Does Jan still keep in contact with them?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

---

From: Jan Wieck <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:33:29 -0500

Josh Berkus wrote:

> Guys,
> I already contacted Jan about this, but don't know how much he wants me to 
> repeat.   Jan?
> 

I wrote:
> Josh,
> 
> I knew that they still planned to get back on that. The point is, that 
> the old NuSphere got thrown together with PeerDirect and operates under 
> that name now. The name NuSphere now is the Moscow office of ... if only 
> I knew what.
> 
> So it might be a bit of a problem to get someone responsible for that 
> "supported" part of their product offer. Also I am not sure how much 
> PostgreSQL expertise is available to them. The product description does 
> not mention schema or namespace support. So I guess that is more or less 
> a rewrap of the 7.2 port Katie and I did.
> 
> That they link to postgresql.com instead of postgresql.org is a little 
> odd. Have you asked Marc if there is any connection here? I mean they 
> use their logo and point to their site, that can lead to assumptions.
> 
> 
> Jan

-- 
#======================================================================#
# It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than for being right. #
# Let's break this rule - forgive me.                                  #
#================================================== [email-masked] #

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 08:53:55 -0800

Guys,

-- 
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:03:11 -0400 (AST)

> > use their logo and point to their site, that can lead to assumptions.

Ummm, the logo is the standard PostgreSQL one, and postgresql.com is a
CNAME for postgresql.org (our URL is http://www.pgsql.com) ... no
connection to PgSQL, Inc that I'm aware of ... we have no reference to it
on our web site ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:32:08 -0200

Hi all,

> connection to PgSQL, Inc that I'm aware of ... we have no reference to it
Don't we have a kind of 'logo license' like the Debian ones (http://www.debian.org/logos/)? I think this is inappropriate (having projects to use our image).

-- 
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
euler (at) ufgnet.ufg.br
Desenvolvedor Web e Administrador de Sistemas
UFGNet - Universidade Federal de Goiás

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:20:46 -0400 (AST)

> Don't we have a kind of 'logo license' like the Debian ones
> (http://www.debian.org/logos/)? I think this is inappropriate (having
> projects to use our image).

Why?  Is someone using the logo maliciously that we need to worry about?

----

---

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 19:31:27 -0200

Hi

> Why?  Is someone using the logo maliciously that we need to worry about?
No, but if we associate 'SomeProductSQL' to the PostgreSQL Logo, it seems that it is *in fact* PostgreSQL and it's not!

---

From: Jan Wieck <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:43:50 -0500

> Don't we have a kind of 'logo license' like the Debian ones (http://www.debian.org/logos/)? I think this is inappropriate (having projects to use our image).

Is it "our image"?

Jan

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:59:22 -0400 (AST)

> No, but if we associate 'SomeProductSQL' to the PostgreSQL Logo, it
> seems that it is *in fact* PostgreSQL and it's not!

Isn't it?  Its PostgreSQL packaged for Windows, no?  Same software, just
packaged for easy install ... the only thing I think should be different
is that the logo be clickable back to the main web site ... but they do
state that its a "native Windows port of PostgreSQL database." so it isn't
as if they are trying to hide it ...

----

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:58:16 -0400 (AST)

> > Don't we have a kind of 'logo license' like the Debian ones (http://www.debian.org/logos/)? I think this is inappropriate (having projects to use our image).

It isn't "owned" by anyone, but it is the PostgreSQL logo ... IMHO, use of
it should be available as long as it is used to represent the project (ie.
for UltraSQL, I think it is okay since they are referring to, and linking
to, the project right beside it) ...

----

---

From: Jan Wieck <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:50:28 -0500

> as if they are trying to hide it ...

Not exactly. It is the NuSphere (AKA PeerDirect) native Win32 port of 
PostgreSQL, which is based on 7.2.1 (they didn't even bother to apply a 
7.2.1 - 7.2.4 delta yet). I don't think the full source code is 
available and the stuff is not at all peer reviewed by the PostgreSQL 
community.

Jan

---

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:45:26 -0200

Hi all

> available and the stuff is not at all peer reviewed by the PostgreSQL 

It seems that the advocacy ppl would check it. The PostgreSQL is under BSD License but it doesn't imply that every product derivate from it could use the same "publicity" as the original project. ppl can be false ideas from PostgreSQL if it eventually occurs. We need to be tight in this point. That's my opinion. Comments?