Subject: http://techdocs.postgresql.org/v2

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:06:18 -0000

Hi all,

I just rediscovered Justin's test Plone site (which wasn't working well
when I tried it before). Despite is being only there for testing it now
seems to have nearly 500 users and appears to work quite well now. 

The only problems I found are:

- The calendar on the right which seemed to have no purpose other than
to make site indexers get in a mess.

- I think the user 'levels' need work. At present, everyone seems to be
a member (even Justin) and able to edit anything, even the site
configuration. I think if this site were to be used for techdocs
permanently, normal users should not be able to add or edit documents
(only add comments etc), with higher lever users being able to create
and edit documents with higher still managing the site config etc.

What do the rest of you think about this site? 

Regards, Dave.

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:40:27 -0800

Guys,

> > > was kind of my thinking as well, which was why i started
> > > leaning toward using openacs.  however I think josh's main
> > > requirements were simply to have the
> > > ability to publish articles without having to resort to
> > > handcoding html.
> > > ISTM user comments were secondary to him.

And one other thing, based on the requirements of some of our community 
writers; there needs to be some ability to add "locked" content.  For 
example, if I republish my article from Linux Magazine (due out in 2 weeks, 
yah!) it has to go up as "locked" content with a shared copyright.  I can't 
have people modifying it per my agreement with Linux Magazine.

Also, most mature Wiki systems allow user comments.   This is a non-issue.
 
> What do the rest of you think about this site? 

Justin's and my problem with Plone was that is was intolerably slow on updates 
and administrative interfaces; some of the admin screens took over a minute 
just to load.   And this was with just him, me & Elein on it.

Also, the plone "look" says "Plone" not "PostgreSQL".   However, if it gets 
something up and running in a hurry, I can certainly live with that.

If we've got it performing better now, it's worth a 2nd look.

-- 
-Josh Berkus

______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________
                                        Josh Berkus
   Complete information technology 	[email-masked]
    and data management solutions 	(415) 565-7293
   for law firms, small businesses 	 fax 621-2533
    and non-profit organizations. 	San Francisco