Subject: Re: http://techdocs.postgresql.org/v2

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:56:10 -0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Josh Berkus [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 16 January 2004 21:40
> To: Dave Page; PostgreSQL Web Development Mailing List
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] http://techdocs.postgresql.org/v2
> 
> Justin's and my problem with Plone was that is was 
> intolerably slow on updates and administrative interfaces; 
> some of the admin screens took over a minute 
> just to load.   And this was with just him, me & Elein on it.

The only really noticable speed issues I saw whilst playing were local
network issues. I editted one page and it certainly wasn't noticably
slower than our other php admin interface.

> 
> Also, the plone "look" says "Plone" not "PostgreSQL".   
> However, if it gets 
> something up and running in a hurry, I can certainly live with that.
> 
> If we've got it performing better now, it's worth a 2nd look.

I think so. It looks nice, and seems quite usable and maintainable. Like
I said, the only real issues I noticed were the lack of access controls
(users should not be able to modify config nor (imho) content) and the
seemingly useless calendar (is that some kind of 'see this folder how it
was on xx-xx-xxxx' control?)

Regards, Dave.

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:09:57 -0800

Dave,

> slower than our other php admin interface.

OK.   Do we want to give it a try?  I would eliminate one item I've been 
procrastinating on for some time, and I'd be happy to relieve Robert of any 
Techdocs maint based on Plone.

-- 
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions
 San Francisco

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:16:37 -0400 (AST)

> Techdocs maint based on Plone.

'k, is this replacing techdocs, or just part of techdocs?

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 23:22:04 -0500

On Friday 16 January 2004 17:16, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > procrastinating on for some time, and I'd be happy to relieve Robert of
> > any Techdocs maint based on Plone.
>

If we're going to do it, we need to replace the whole thing IMO.

Robert Treat
-- 
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: "Steve Simms" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 09:55:27 -0500 (EST)

>> > > slower than our other php admin interface.

The site seems a little slow to me -- it took five seconds to bring up the
home page, compared to two for the postgresql.org home page.  Not terrible,
but noticeable.

>> > any Techdocs maint based on Plone.

The structured text aspect of plone seems to be a bit iffy to me.  In
particular, it looks like there's a *lot* of indenting involved based on their
description of it (http://plone.org/documentation/book/10).

Other concerns:

- Inline preformatted text is done with apostrophes.  This seems prone to
accidents, particularly if you try to use SQL inline.

- It *looks* like you can only do preformatted text if the preceding paragraph
ends in a colon (which needs to be doubled).

- It replaces HTML with another formatting language.  It attempts to be
simpler, but I'm not sure if it succeeds.

A good test would be to take an article that has a fair number of SQL examples
in it, and port it to plone's format.  If this were done by someone who's
already written articles (and might do so again) -- I'm thinking of Josh, that
would be particularly helpful.

> If we're going to do it, we need to replace the whole thing IMO.

I agree.  We don't need to add another method of storage/delivery if we can
avoid it.

As of last night, I have Bricolage installed on a server, and am now
attempting to figure out how to use it (not very obvious).  As far as I can
tell, it publishes plain HTML to any number of servers, without needing
anything special running on the destination web server, so it'll be hard to
beat that for speed.  It also allows for writing, editing, approving and
publishing as separate steps (the last two might be combined).

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:17:48 -0500

On Saturday 17 January 2004 09:55, Steve Simms wrote:
> Robert Treat said:
>
> Should I keep looking at this, or move to plone instead?
>

IMO keep looking at it.

Robert Treat