Subject: things currently broken/missing

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Feb 2004 09:30:56 -0500

not sure who has access to what, but here's a list of things that
currently need to be fixed on the various sites. 

annotated cvs still broken
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/COPYRIGHT?annotate=1.9

pgsql-cygwin has references pgsql-admin in instructions
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/

pgsql-novice has different background color
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-novice/

pgsql-hackers-win32 is busted
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers-win32/

pgsql-hackers-pitr is missing
(missing)

pg-de-allgemein is busted
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-de-allgemein/

pgsql-fr-generale is busted
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-fr-generale/

san fran gives empty directory
http://archives.postgresql.org/sfpug/

Need a space added between the last regional list and the project list
header.

jobs.postgresql.org needs to be updated with info from 
techdocs.postgresql.org/jobs.php

Robert Treat
-- 
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Justin Clift <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:43:37 +0800

Hiyas,

Robert Treat wrote:
<snip>

One more for the list is that on the Techdocs site, it still points to 
an older version of Jason Tishler's instructions for installing through 
CVS.  7.3.x from memory.  He updates his instructions to a new URL (i.e. 
the same one but with 7.4.1 replacing the 7.3.4 bit) with each major 
release.

Not sure if he creates a "-latest" symlink version either, but some 
method of keeping the pointer to his latest instructions for people 
would be useful.

Hope that's helpful.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:19:12 -0400 (AST)

> http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/COPYRIGHT?annotate=1.9

Odd ... I just disabled it ... why would we want that ability enabled:

# allow annotation of files
# this requires rw-access to the
# CVSROOT/history - file and rw-access
# to the subdirectory to place the lock
# so you maybe don't want it

sounds to me like anyone with a web browser can write to CVS?

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/

fixed

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-novice/

Fixed

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers-win32/

Fixed

> pgsql-hackers-pitr is missing

Fixed

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-de-allgemein/

Fixed

> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-fr-generale/

Fixed

> http://archives.postgresql.org/sfpug/

Fixed

> Need a space added between the last regional list and the project list

Fixed

... mhonarc is running now, so some of the fixes above won't show up until
its finished ... if anyone has improved text for any of the lists, please
feel free to send it over ... most notably, the de, fr and sfpug lists ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Feb 2004 10:46:50 -0500

> sounds to me like anyone with a web browser can write to CVS?

thats not what its supposed to do, though it does sound like thats what
it does from the instructions you've pasted. what its supposed to do is
give you a a breakdown of file changes per version, similar to this:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/www/urchin5/Makefile?annotate=1.2

Robert Treat

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:15:16 -0500

> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/www/urchin5/Makefile?annotate=1.2

I think we probably ought to leave this turned off.  From a security
standpoint, it would scare me quite a lot for the cgi user to have write
access to the CVS tree.  Even though the annotation software itself may
do nothing more risky than temporarily locking files, what of bugs that
might allow someone to make more extensive changes?

The annotation display is kind of nice, but it doesn't strike me as
useful enough to be worth taking any risks for.  The people who are
likely to need it all have local CVS copies and can just run "cvs anno"
when they need it.  (But then, I only find a use for this maybe a couple
times a year.  Perhaps other people depend on it more?)

			regards, tom lane

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:35:58 -0400 (AST)

doing a quick look, we're running an *ancient* version (not sure what
version):

# $Id: cvsweb.cgi,v 1.1.1.1 2001/10/03 12:24:53 root Exp $

vs 2.0.6 which is in FreeBSD ports:

# $FreeBSD: projects/cvsweb/cvsweb.cgi,v 1.119.2.6 2002/09/26 20:56:05
scop Exp $

and:

The latest beta version, 2.9.2 on the web site at:

        http://www.freebsd.org/projects/cvsweb.html

so, do we want to look at upgrading? :)

----

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:49:52 -0500

> doing a quick look, we're running an *ancient* version (not sure what

I use cvsweb constantly, so if there's a later release you can drop in
easily, please do.

Also, see if you can teach it about the PostgreSQL CVS keyword?  Right
now, if you do a diff it mistakenly shows the PostgreSQL line as a diff.
Compare for example

http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/GNUmakefile.in.diff?r1=1.36&r2=1.37

http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/GNUmakefile.in.diff?r1=1.34&r2=1.35

In the latter case it's hiding the $Header$ change as irrelevant (as you
can confirm by selecting the "context diff" option).  But it doesn't
know to do so for $PostgreSQL$.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:27:47 +0100

>might allow someone to make more extensive changes?

Make sure to replace every call to 'cvs' with 'cvs -R'.  This enables
read-only repository mode.  Or set the relevant environment variable.
Note that cvs 1.12.x is more intelligent about locks.

-- 
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai(at)wxs.nl> / asmodai / kita no mono
PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://diary.in-nomine.org/
Expansion of happiness is the purpose of life...

---

From: Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 23:16:19 +0100

>now, if you do a diff it mistakenly shows the PostgreSQL line as a diff.

If using cvs 1.12.x adjust CVSROOT/config to read:

LocalKeyword=PostgreSQL=CVSHeader
KeywordExpand=iPostgreSQL

If using FreeBSD and its expanded cvs 1.11.x adjust CVSROOT/options:

tag=PostgreSQL=CVSHeader
tagexpand=iPostgreSQL

-- 
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai(at)wxs.nl> / asmodai / kita no mono
PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://diary.in-nomine.org/
The last word in a chronicle is never set down...