Subject: Another update on 'portal'

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:07:31 +0300

Hi!

Uploaded another attempt:
http://oc.cs.msu.su/pgorg/    (trailing slash is REQUIRED)

Changes since last time:
* Docs are shown
* gettext() localisation works

The source can be d/led:
http://oc.cs.msu.su/pgorg.tar.gz

Main changes from the CVS version:
* HTML is now contained in the template files.
* Gettext is used for localization.
* Language-specific pages are now named page.html.{code}, this will 
allow Apache's content negotiation to work on static mirrors
* Code optimisations. CVS version did 2*N+1 queries to display the list 
of N news items, my version does 1 query.

See the example of template which is ready for localisation:
http://oc.cs.msu.su/pgorg/template/common.html

Main advantages (from my POW):
* Designers can work on HTML templates without touching anything else
* Translators may work on PO files and (static) HTML templates without 
touching anything else.
* Better suited for static mirrors.

Things to do yet:
* form handling
* admin interface

This version is about how far I want to go without Some Sort of 
Discussion and later Official Approval. I don't want to waste any more 
of my time if the current website is OK with The Important People of 
PostgreSQL and they just don't want to Bother Changing Anything.

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:32:24 -0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alexey Borzov [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 14 February 2004 08:34
> To: Dave Page
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] Another update on 'portal'
> 
> Well, it took you almost a week *not* to answer to the 
> previous --- polite --- email and less than an hour to answer 
> to the current one. See my point?

Not really. As I imagine many other ppl do, I set aside time on Fridays
to tie up outstanding items. Also like many of us, I have a job, family
and studies to worry about as well and don't always have time to answer
immediately.

> I consulted the pgsql-www archives and looked at some other 
> lists and have seen
> *lots* of polite website suggestions safely and comfortably ignored.

Not on pgsql-www I doubt. On other lists maybe, but then, *this* is the
web list, not them.

> Thus the srategy of writing politely definitely does not work 
> with PostgreSQL website team, and I see no real reason to 
> pursue it.

The strategy of writing to the right list and being polite does work.
The problem is that people do not forget when you annoyed them the week
before, so vanishing for a while and then coming back as if nothing
happened ain't gonna help.

Now, let's get this straight. Polite please from now on, and if no-one
responds to a message try a polite 'hey guys, I emailed but no one
responded' message. Any further unpleasentness may result in an
unsubscription.

Now, let's not discuss this any further and get back to developing the
website in whatever free time we can find.

Regards, Dave.