Subject: PHP/Postgresql Advocacy

From: David Costa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:33:44 +0100

Hello Everyone!
my name is David Costa and I am the operator of a not for profit 
website, dotgeek.org (http://dotgeek.org).
This is not my main occupation. I am a full time Professor in a private 
graduate college here in Switzerland
and a direct contributor to PHP via Pear 
http://pear.php.net/user/gurugeek

Dotgeek is focusing on PHP Development and Free Open Source PHP 
Certification. Just today we started to host an official mirror of 
postgresql and
I am extremely trilled by the array of possible advocacy toward  PHP 
developers.

I have a number of plans for postgresql advocacy:

- we will host a regular column on PHP/Postgresql development on 
dotgeek.org

These articles and tutorials will increase the public awareness of PHP 
Developers on using postgresql with php development. In my humble 
opinion the general adoption
of mysql by phpdevelopers is partially justified by the short learning 
curve and little awareness on how to configure and use postgresql for 
php development.

- Whilst the site is not for profit we will gladly add a text link to 
donate something to the postgresql project if the visitors like what we 
do/provide.
All donations will link directly to your donation page.

- We regularly host PHP programming marathons (next one in April 
sponsored by Zend, PHPArch, and The Kompany) and we would be glad to 
buy
some promotional materials from your site (e.g. t-shirts) and add them 
as prizes in our contest.

I would really be glad to be part of your advocacy team. My first 
language is Italian so should you need some help with the manual 
translations, let me know.

I look forward to a long term volunteer cooperation!

Thanks again for providing the best relational database!!
Best Regards

David Costa
P.S. side note: I write frequently on several mailing list. Would it be 
possible, for advocacy purposes, to have an email alias (forward) 
@postgresql.org ?
Sorry if this might sound a bit odd, but (as you can see) I am really 
enthusiast about postgresql.

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:11:40 -0800

Hi, David!  

Welcome to the PostgreSQL community.

> - we will host a regular column on PHP/Postgresql development on 

We will be happy to help find you writers for this.   No promises, though; 
most of our folks with writing skills have multiple demands on our time.

> curve and little awareness on how to configure and use postgresql for 

Yes.

> as prizes in our contest.

Definitely, as soon as we get the t-shirt stuff back up.

> translations, let me know.

Thank you!   Definitely, more translators is always better.   Sometime you 
should drop a line to Stefano, our Italian community person, at 
[email-masked].

-- 
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions
 San Francisco

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:10:03 -0400 (AST)

> Definitely, as soon as we get the t-shirt stuff back up.

http://store.pgsql.com/

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: David Costa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:15:47 +0100

Hello,
many thanks to Joshua Drake for the potentials writers list.
  I am currently in touch with 3 qualified PHP-Postgresql developers 
interested in writing for our php/ postgresql
column.

We should be live with the first articles by the end of  next week.

Now, some questions:

-Mailing list last posts on our homepage (right column)

I would like display the posts on the pgsql-php display on our site 
home via an XML feed.

I assume there is no XML feed for 
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-php/2004-02/index.php   right ?

I can  buy the mailing lists archive on the store, just wondering if 
there is a possibility to pay for the archive and get it on rsync .
If I have a way to sync with the lists, I could easily generate the xml 
feed.

  Are you currently storing all the postings in a database?

-Logo usage: any particular restriction to display the postgresql logo 
in the php/postgresql column  ?

Cheers
David Costa

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:51:54 -0400 (AST)

>   Are you currently storing all the postings in a database?

no to storing the posts ...

as to the xml feed ... how does one set that up?  can you email me
instructions?

> in the php/postgresql column  ?

none, plaster it everywhere :)

----

---

From: David Costa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 23:53:24 +0100

> as to the xml feed ... how does one set that up?  can you email me
I will try to work out a simple script and I will test it locally then 
email it to you in a day or two.

If you don't use a db, are you parsing the emails directly from the 
list into html with that perl script right ?

> none, plaster it everywhere :)
Will do :D

> ---------------------------(end of 
> broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 19:02:56 -0400 (AST)

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, David Costa wrote:

> If you don't use a db, are you parsing the emails directly from the list
> into html with that perl script right ?

this is correct ...

----

---

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:47:12 +0300

Hi!

David Costa wrote:
> and a direct contributor to PHP via Pear http://pear.php.net/user/gurugeek
> 

I think that the most urgent thing in PostgreSQL advocacy is the update of its 
web presence. Right now all the advocacy ends as soon as someone clicks on the 
link and sees the abomination that is postgresql.org

I am already working on the changes to website, just can't get any comments from 
the people who should (supposedly) be more interested in it than myself.

If you are interested in helping, too, then here's how:
1) There is a well-hidden closed list for website development: pgsql-www. You 
can send a subscription request to it. If you pester the important people long 
enough on more public mailing lists (like here), your subscripion will be 
approved quite fast.
2) There is a module on gborg, it is called pgweb and contains most of the code 
for the website. Of course, database schema is conveniently hidden, but if you 
pester the important people long enough, you can have it.
3) Consult the archives for pgsql-www for the pointers on the things already 
done and that still need to be done. Comment on them.

The most needed thing right now IMO is a professional looking design for the 
postgresql.org website. As Marc told me, the current one was done by his two 
year old child using crayons.

---

From: Dan Langille <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 08:38:24 -0500 (EST)

> year old child using crayons.

Alex: What you say is not as important as how you say it.  Using the
insults above will encourage support.

---

From: Joshua Drake <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 07:40:00 -0800

> insults above will encourage support.

I don't see them as insults as much as statements of fact. Basically he
is just saying what he experienced trying to help with the WWW project.

Insults are typically a little different in wording:

There is a "purposely" well hidden (because nobody really wants the 
help) pgsql-www list. If you are a jerk enough, the people over at 
pgsql-www think you are one of them and will subscribe you.

That is an insult. His wording IMHO were just statements ;)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> 
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [email-masked])

---

From: David Costa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:47:17 +0100

> Hi!

Hello Alexey, I know your from Pear, what a small world. Once again 
kudos for your HTML and HTTP packages, see my comments below:

> I think that the most urgent thing in PostgreSQL advocacy is the 
> update of its web presence. Right now all the advocacy ends as soon as 
> someone clicks on the link and sees the abomination that is 
> postgresql.org
>

Alex, I do have a great deal of respect for your work.  Please do the 
same with other volunteers on this list.

PostgreSQL (like PHP and Pear) is lead and developed by volunteers. 
They kindly donate their time to the project.
Regardless of the point you are trying to make, there are several ways 
to express yourself clearly and  keeping the respect bar high enough at 
the same time.

I don't think that the website is bad. In fact, I suggested some 
(non-design related) improvements and I received a prompt reply. I am 
working on something already more related
to the functionality then the look & feel, and we will see.  Have a 
look at http://www.gnu.org/ for example. Try to post something on their 
  mailing list, tell Stallman
that the site "sucks big time" :).  Many other sites are pretty simple 
(e.g. slackware linux) because the team is focusing on the code more 
then the graphics.

This is not bad at all !!

> I am already working on the changes to website, just can't get any 
> comments from the people who should (supposedly) be more interested in 
> it than myself.
>
I had the privilege to lead some small open source project and I just 
think you mean well but your sarcasm might have disturbed some 
contributors. If that is the case,
I am not surprised at all of the outcome.

  I want to give you a clear example to demonstrate that what you say is 
not accurate.

At Dotgeek.org I first organized a php.net unofficialmirror.
This because at PHP.net they have a policy "no more then 2 mirrors per 
country". Fair enough, I arranged the unofficial one at 
http://php.dotgeek.org

It was all fine, then someone flamed the initiative and php.net 
webmasters changed their page to plaster every unofficial mirror with 
the "this is all unofficial" warning 
(http://php.dotgeek.org/mirror.php).  Of course I will kill this 
unofficial mirror ASAP.

Guess what. On Postgresql.org I received a reply to my proposal to 
establish an official mirror the same day. Within 24 hours our official 
mirror for both www and ftp was
approved, up, and running.

My point ? I found the postgresql.org team very responsive, 
professional and interested in contributions.

> 1) There is a well-hidden closed list for website development: 
> pgsql-www. You can send a subscription request to it. If you pester 
> the important people long enough on more public mailing lists (like 
> here), your subscripion will be approved quite fast.

I can see the list at http://archives.postgresql.org/ why hidden ? :)

> 2) There is a module on gborg, it is called pgweb and contains most of 
> the code for the website. Of course, database schema is conveniently 
> hidden, but if you pester the important people long enough, you can 
> have it.
> 3) Consult the archives for pgsql-www for the pointers on the things 
> already done and that still need to be done. Comment on them.
>
> The most needed thing right now IMO is a professional looking design 
> for the postgresql.org website. As Marc told me, the current one was 
> done by his two year old child using crayons.

your last comment is pretty sad. I didn't expect this from you. You are 
a talented programmer, why do you need to insult the work of others?

Once again Marc and other senior people have been around for a long 
while. I would not like to have someone to jump up and tell me how to 
run the community, regardless of how opened the community is. Respect 
first.

I will do my best to help and Advocate postgreSQL usage and migration 
to the php community. For the website, I will do my best to help out, 
if necessary.

That said, if what I propose or do is not deem to be approved and 
adopted by the Project coordinator, that's life. I wouldn't feel that 
bad. Perhaps was not the right
moment or perhaps my suggestion is not a priority.

I think you should do the same and avoid insults/flames/trolling etc. 
That doesn't help.

All the best,
Regards
David Costa

---

From: "Dan Langille" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:37:09 -0500

> > insults above will encourage support.

That should be "will not encourage".

> I don't see them as insults as much as statements of fact. Basically
> he is just saying what he experienced trying to help with the WWW
> project.
> 

Insults do not have to be explicit to be insults.  But let us 
concentrate on the first part of my statement, not the second.
-- 
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - http://www.bsdcan.org/

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 12:16:06 -0500

On Saturday 14 February 2004 10:47, David Costa wrote:
>  Many other sites are pretty simple

Actually it's a point that seems to be lost on a lot of people. The folks who 
try to keep the website going are all involved in at least 1 other project if 
not several different initiatives.  If someone wants to hire me full time to 
work on the site, I'm willing to listen to proposals...

> run the community, regardless of how opened the community is. Respect
<snip>
> I think you should do the same and avoid insults/flames/trolling etc.

Thanks for being a voice of reason David.   

Robert Treat
-- 
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:32:44 +0300

Hi!

> work on the site, I'm willing to listen to proposals...

Of course there are these jerks who spend most of their time just flaming in the 
maillists:
http://pear.php.net/user/avb

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:53:20 -0800 (PST)

> http://pear.php.net/user/avb

True :)

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
> 

-- 
Co-Founder
Command Prompt, Inc.
The wheel's spinning but the hamster's dead

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:02:31 -0400 (AST)

> year old child using crayons.

Alexey, just curious, but are you *really* as stupid as you come across on
the mailing lists?  I can't recall the last thing that came out of you
that has had an ounce of intelligence behind it, to the point that *I* am
almost ready to black list your email address ...

You remind me of the 15 year old script kiddies that used to jump into
various IRC channels and get so proud cause they knew how to lock others
out of those channels ... not very hard, nor requiring very much
intelligence, but, hey .. as they say "small things amuse small minds" ...

Quite frankly, if I have to listen to much more of the drivel coming out
of your mouth, I will black list your email address, and most likely to
the cheers of several others ...

Learn to work *with* us, or just go away already ...

----

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 10:29:06 -0800 (PST)

> almost ready to black list your email address ...

Then you best black list yourself for this remark, Marc. This was the most 
unproffessional, uncalled for remark I have heard from this community. It 
represents every FUD comment made about Open Source development in the 
popular press and I am significantly dissapointed that you would say it.

> Learn to work *with* us, or just go away already ...

Frankly, working WITH the community isn't easy. There is a huge if "it 
ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. Which is fine, except that there is 
a LOT broke and people don't pay attention to it and when people bring it 
up they get slammed.

You may also want to take into account that Alexy is obviously not a 
native English speaker. His dialect is probably coming across harsher than 
is meant.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
>       joining column's datatypes do not match
>

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:02:50 -0400 (AST)

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. Which is fine, except that there
> is a LOT broke and people don't pay attention to it and when people
> bring it up they get slammed.

The problem is that everyone on the list acknowledges that it *is* broken,
and that it does *need* to be fixed ... hell, everyone on the list even
welcomes Alexey's input and work towards fixing it ... what nobody is
welcoming is his "do it my way or no way" attitude ...

> native English speaker. His dialect is probably coming across harsher than

Odd, words from his own mouth state that he's doing it because he feels
that a temper tantrum will get more done, faster ...

----

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 12:14:36 -0800 (PST)

> welcoming is his "do it my way or no way" attitude ...

I guess I didn't get that from his posts. I just got that he is frustrated 
because he is passionate about PostgreSQL but it seems that the website 
and web community around it is so difficult to deal with.

I actually don't know if the web community is difficult to deal with so I 
can speak to that.

> that a temper tantrum will get more done, faster ...

Sure... but to some degree he is right.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:31:41 -0400 (AST)

> and web community around it is so difficult to deal with.

You must have missed his original thread then, when he vehemently(sp?)
argued that we should give him full CVS access to change the web site
because the mock up he showed us of what he wanted to do was sooooo vastly
superior to what is there now ...

> I actually don't know if the web community is difficult to deal with so
> I can speak to that.

They aren't ... there is a mailing list setup for discussing the technical
www issues ... it is a fairly large list, but it isn't an open list (ie.
subscriptions are mooerated to the extent of 'you want to be on it, let
Dave know and he'll add you' ... basically, if you are interested enough
in being a part of it to ask to be apart of it, you'll get added ... we
have no 'full time, that is all they do, web developer', everything is
like -hackesr ... a volunteer group that does what they can, when they can
...

Alexey came along from the start with "give me the reins and I'll fix all
the problems" ... and even that wouldn't been so bad, except he came out
of no where, told everyone they were doing it all wrong, and that his way
was better ...

That put the hackles up on everyones necks who have been spending their
spare time trying to clean up the web sites and improve them ...

Nobody has once stated that Alexey doesn't have anything to contribute ...
and alot of effort has been made by several to 'steer him' into the
sequence of steps that has been determined need to be done to improve
things ... but, I know in my case at least, any positive benefits Alexey
can bring to the community are being heavily negated by his temper
tantrums ...

So, do we think Alexey has something to contribute?  Yes, definitely ...

> Sure... but to some degree he is right.

Guess it depends on how you parent ... my 2 year old throws temper
tantrums ... we put her on the floor and let her yell her lungs out until
she decides that she's just not makign as much headway as she could be
making ...

Alexey, right now, is about in the same league ... he could get alot more
done, faster, if we didn't have to wait out his temper tantrums ...

----

---

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 00:14:38 +0300

Hi!

I am well aware my English can be bad, but not *that* bad. It is IMHO impossible 
to understand my messages in such a way, unless one really *wants* to. :[

Marc, with all due respect:
1) Please provide a link to the thread where I wanted full CVS access because of 
my superior mock up.
2) Please provide a link to where I "told everyone they were doing it all wrong, 
and that his way was better ..."
3) Are personal insults the preferred method of discussion in PostgreSQL community?

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:27:03 -0800 (PST)

> superior to what is there now ...

Must have... the first one I saw was just complaints about getting 
communication.

> the problems" ... and even that wouldn't been so bad, except he came out

Well that won't work... I have tried that ;)

> done, faster, if we didn't have to wait out his temper tantrums ...

O.k. fair enough but one would have to ask what brought them on. Perhaps 
he is just responding (albeit badly) to frustration that many people feel 
trying to deal with the community. The difference is that some people just 
sit there, some move on (like Napier), some put up with it, some explode. 
All of these people have valid concerns that we probably need to address..

If 1 person is screaming... 100 people are upset and not saying anything. 

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to [email-masked]
>

---

From: "Joshua D. Drake" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:28:27 -0800 (PST)

> 3) Are personal insults the preferred method of discussion in PostgreSQL community?

Alex, please do not pursue this. Marc was wrong in his response but 
continuing at least this part of the thread will not help the situation.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

---

From: David Costa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:31:41 +0100

On Feb 14, 2004, at 10:14 PM, Alexey Borzov wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am well aware my English can be bad, but not *that* bad. It is IMHO 
> impossible to understand my messages in such a way, unless one really 
> *wants* to. :[
>
> 1) Please provide a link to the thread where I wanted full CVS access 
> because of my superior mock up.
> 2) Please provide a link to where I "told everyone they were doing it 
> all wrong, and that his way was better ..."

Oh no, now we are "show me where..." stage...

Ehi look how much time is going wasted in this discussion.

Marc summarized your previous posts on the www list where the tone was 
all but cordial.

For one, saying that the current website is an "abomination" was 
offensive to the volunteers who did
this in their own available spare time. You know that. But let's move 
on, we are all wasting time with arguments.

You are a good developer. Don't let your manners jeopardize the whole 
effort which is very welcome.
As you can see 
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-www/2004-02/msg00081.php things 
are moving so, what's the issue?

Cheers
David COsta

> TIP 7: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

---

From: "Dan Langille" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:59:40 -0500

> Sure... but to some degree he is right.

Whether or not he is right is overwhelmed by his abrasive methods.

---

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:28:39 +0300

Hi!

> on, we are all wasting time with arguments.

Of course you and Joshua are right, and I won't pursue this discussion.

I only want to point out some fairly obvious things:
1) There is a subtle difference between critisizing someone's work and atacking 
someone personally.
2) Lots of people, including myself, do Open Source work in their spare time and 
as volunteers. This is not an excuse for doing this work badly and for inability 
to listen to the critique.

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:43:12 -0800

Guys,

I really don't feel that this discussion has any place on the Advocacy List.  
It's not making any of the participants look good ... and is *certainly* not 
contributing to the website overhaul.

Can we just drop it?   

-- 
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions
 San Francisco

---

From: David Costa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 01:27:10 +0100

Hello Everyone :)

It was a long day but I managed to finalise a newsfeed from the 
postgresql.org website.

You can see it at http://www.dotgeek.org/ on the right column

As you might now, XML Feeds, made available under the rdf/rss format 
are a tremendous tool. O'Reilly on lamp is using this extensively 
http://www.onlamp.com/ to aggregate news from several sources. They 
would certainly add some news from postgresql and I am sure that many 
of the postgresql users will be more than glad to add the news
in their website.

Basically everyone with a website and an rss parser can add the 
postgresql.org news anytime using our raw feed  at 
http://www.dotgeek.org/pgnews/news.rss

The news are first parsed, then stored on a postgresql database in our 
server. For the feed I used PHP, Pear XML_Serializer, and a custom RSS 
parser.

On the next few days we will move on as planned adding a column at 
dotgeek entirely dedicated to  PHP&PostgreSQL development.

The first articles will be written by me and Hans-Jürgen Schönig.

The next ideal step could be XML feeds for the mailing lists.

Oh.. of course if Marc or Dave would like to see/try the sources for an 
official adoption, all yours, not urgent thou.

1:25 AM here, time to go home. I will keep you posted on my Advocacy 
initiatives, hope you don't mind ;)

All the best,
Regards
David Costa

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 22:45:12 -0500

Wow, very cool David.  This is something we have talked about having before, 
and we seem so close now I think we need to find a way to make it happen. 
David, I noticed your news feed points to us19 rather than the main server... 
just curious if there was any reason why?  I am thinking if we could set up 
www.postgresql.org/news.rss we could make that a public news feed that folks 
could pull from.  It would also be included in the mirror system if someone 
needed to pull a local feed (though it would be slightly delayed).   The only 
question I would have is how does this fit in with the web code rewrite / 
translation stuff?

Robert Treat

---

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:47:20 +0300

Hi!

Robert Treat wrote:
> The only 

Is the question rhetoric or do you have any specific problems in mind?

---

From: David Costa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:39:13 +0100

On Feb 17, 2004, at 4:45 AM, Robert Treat wrote:

> Wow, very cool David.

Thank you! I am far from an XML expert but with so many friends on the 
php pear
development team it was just a 7  hours job :D

> This is something we have talked about having before,
> just curious if there was any reason why?

Egoism ;) ?? Kidding of course.

I am not sure how this might effect the load on the main 
www.postgresql.org for one.
if someone adds the rss feed to his site, he might  hit the server 
every hour or every 30 minutes. Many news aggregators, which are now 
default
in a number of CMS like Postnuke, Drupal, Phpnuke, Slashcode do that 
and you need to be careful if you have
some limits on the server traffic.

The second reason is because this is not something official and I 
didn't want to bother anyone.

> I am thinking if we could set up
> could pull from.

Sure, I am ready anytime but I would like to further explain: I am 
currently parsing the news from our mirror, adding the news on the 
database
and then I manipulate the news for the feed. This is not the normal way 
to do it. Assuming that the news are already in a database, one of my 
scripts might
not be required on the official site.

Secondly, I think we need to provide a number of feeds aka news and a 
feed for each of the main mailing lists.

>  It would also be included in the mirror system if someone

I am not sure. For the time being you can use our "alpha" feed url. 
Talking about advocacy, I think that the feeds are a great tool.

The second easy to implement feature is the ip to country. This will 
display, on the download page, something like this " We detected that 
you are from
$country"  example http://www.php.net/my.php

Advantage? this will enhance the overall browsing and download 
experience. Visitors in Austria will hit the local mirror with a better 
performance
and less load on the main box.

Eventually I am not suggesting a quick adoption of these tools. I will 
keep working on these features and if there is an interest for official 
adoption, I am here
to help as always.

All the best,
David Costa

---

From: David Costa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:40:57 +0100

All the best,
David Costa

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:07:38 -0400 (AST)

> $country"  example http://www.php.net/my.php

/usr/local/share/GeoIP/GeoIP.dat is already installed for awstats ...
personally, if we could tie that in, it would be nice is we could extend
it past that and do an auto-redirect to the mirror itself ...

---

From: Bruce Momjian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:08:47 -0500 (EST)

> If 1 person is screaming... 100 people are upset and not saying anything. 

There is a lot of truth in this statement.  At this point, let's do
something/anything, to get things moving.

-- 
  Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
  [email-masked]               |  (610) 359-1001
  +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania 19073

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:11:52 -0400 (AST)

> something/anything, to get things moving.

Long past this point now :)

----