Subject: Re: GForge WAS: Feeds Integration

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:11:20 -0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Josh Berkus [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: 20 February 2004 19:25
> To: PostgreSQL WWW Mailing List
> Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] GForge WAS: Feeds Integration
> 
> Dave,

Hi Josh,

> > What's come up recently? I don't remember seeing anything.
> 
> It wasn't on public lists, mostly.   Let's just say that a 
> few people are 
> *very* dissatisfied with GBorg and might like to try 
> something else.   Also, 
> we've been discussing having a bug tracking utility for the 
> main project, particularly for the 7.5 release.

That one's been going on on and off for years! Still, I don't think it
would be a bad idea. Even Linux has proper bug tracking these days.

> HOWEVER, this is all hypothetical.    I need to poll this 
> list and Hackers 
> first and get a vote from people, as well as having an 
> organized proposal -- which is going to wait until we have a 
> blank GForge up and running on Hub.org 
> first.    So let's postpone the rest of the discussion until 
> that happens, 
> hey?

Well, hang on. Why Gforge? Are there other solutions? If so then I think
any voting/discussions/whatever should include the choice of new
platform. 

It's also normal to have the discussion before a vote rather than the
other way round as you are proposing (unless I misunderstand what you've
written), so that people can make a properly informed vote.

Regards, Dave.

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:19:57 -0800

Dave,

> any voting/discussions/whatever should include the choice of new

Do you have another proposal?   Like I said, I'll be putting forward the case 
for GForge; if there's another program you like, feel free to 
counter-propose.

But I'm not gonna spend a bunch o' time reseaching other platforms when I 
believe that GForge suits our needs.   

> written), so that people can make a properly informed vote.

As if I could prevent discussion.   My point is that this has been discussed, 
off and on, on this list and elsewhere repeatedly without any action being 
taken.   I'm going to throw up a specific proposal for action, and if people 
shoot it down, then so be it.   But just to discuss the topic in general -- 
again -- is a recipe for paralysis.

-- 
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions
 San Francisco

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:42:21 -0400 (AST)

> believe that GForge suits our needs.

I definitely have to side with Josh on this ... I don't even know of any
other dev environment that comes close to being as feature rich as GForge
... let alone as well tested ...

Considering the road we've gone down how many times trying to come up with
an CMS for the web site itself, before we open the can of worms with this,
does anyone on this list even know of any other ones?

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664