Subject: tcl on gborg

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:37:52 -0400 (AST)

k, so ... from what LJ states, gborg is now sync'd with -core, correct?
so I can do a remove of it and nothing will be lost?

Chris, is there a central announce list for gborg?  something that I can
subscribe pgsql-announce to?  I notice alot of activity on gborg, but
hardly ever seen any announcements ... if ppl knew things were going on
over there, might be easier to get ppl to use it without thinking its the
black hole of software :(

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: L J Bayuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:57:25 -0500 (EST)

> so I can do a remove of it and nothing will be lost?

NO - don't quote ME on that. I only said there seem to be updates going in
to the Gborg pgtcl project's CVS.  If it is to be considered sync'd to
core, you need to hear it from Brett or Karl.

---

From: Brett Schwarz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 17:41:22 -0800 (PST)

> so I can do a remove of it and nothing will be lost?

Now I'm confused...are you talking about the existing
gborg, or the new gborg? If you are talking about the
existing one, then read on...

Depends what you consider sync'ed. I applied all of
the "relevant patches" from -core to gborg. When Karl
first started the project, he changed the structure
quite a bit, and updated the lib with the newer Tcl
Object interface...so I think 1 or 2 things didn't
make sense in the gborg, and I didn't do any of the
pgindent stuff...

However, I wanted to check it over again real quick
before you rip of the -core. I'll probably do this
over the weekend. I am not sure if the history was
kept or not, when the project was first started...I
will have to check that too...

> black hole of software :(

Yes, that would be great. Also, is it suppose to email
the project admins when someone submits a bug/feature?
I don't think I ever got an email...that would be a
good feature to have...

    --brett

__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail SpamGuard - Read only the mail you want.
http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools

---

From: Chris Ryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 05:45:56 -0800 (PST)

--- Brett Schwarz <[email-masked]> wrote:
 -- snip --
> I don't think I ever got an email...that would be a

Brett,

    You can setup your project to have new bug/features submitted
and/or updated sent to one or more addresses. In addition each user can
setup to receive messages about bugs from certain projects or updates
to specific bugs.

    As an individual user if you are logged in you can subscribe to
indivudal bug update notifications be going to any specific bug and
clicking on the "Subscribe" line next to the title of the bug on it's
detail page. You can unsubscribe in this fashion as well as you will
see and "Unsubscribe" link as approriate. From the main bug list of a
project you can click the "Edit Bug Subscriptions" link which will take
you to a list of all existing bug notifications you have for the
project you are viewing. On this screen you can remove individual
entries, subscribe to receive notifications of all new bug submissions,
or remove all entries.

    From a project standpoint you can setup similar notifications as
above with the difference of being able to specify any email address
and you can have notifications sent out for updates to any bugs on that
project not just specific ones. To do this you must go the "Project
Admin Area" of your project. You can click on the "Bug Tracker" quick
link at the top of the Screen or scroll down looking for the "Bug
Manager" section. Here you will see a link "Edit List Notification".
This will bring you to a screen that will show you all the existing
addresses that are being notified of new submissions and updates. You
will also be able to enter in an email address and select if you want
that email address to receive New submissions or Updates. NOTE: if you
want an email address to receive both submissions and updates you have
to place two entries, one for each.

    If you have any other questions please let me know and I will be
happy to answer them.

Chris Ryan

---

From: Chris Ryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 05:54:52 -0800 (PST)

Marc,

    I have been somewhat slacking in this regard. I send a few of the
news items through to the announce list but I've only been doing some
of the more significant messages. I have been giving this some though
on the best way to do this.

    I came up with the idea that instead of having the news item emails
sent directly to the pgsql-www list I could have a cron that would send
a digest like version of the news items from the past days. This would
help solve the problem we had last time with duplicate news items being
sent out on occassions. In addition it would alleviate my discomfort
with the possibility of "spamming" the announce if there were a
particulary busy day.

    Any thoughts?

Chris Ryan

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Feb 2004 10:26:20 -0500

FWIW I try to check gborg every week before I write up the weekly news
and include any announcements in the "product news" section (though I
missed it last week :-\ ). I started this originally since the weekly
news gets posted to places beyond announce, but is this sufficient
enough coverage for announce as well?  Marc, do you see the problem
being that projects don't make enough announcements of their activity or
that people don't see the announcements that are made? I tend to think
it's the former more so than the latter.  

As an aside I plan on mentioning the rss feed in this week weekly news,
Chris, perhaps in the "latest news" heading you can add a link for
"rss".

Robert Treat 

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 08:54, Chris Ryan wrote:
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [email-masked])

-- 
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Chris Ryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 07:35:36 -0800 (PST)

> Chris, perhaps in the "latest news" heading you can add a link for

    That's a good idea, I hadn't though about doing that. I was
planning on adding a link somewhere as well about the rss news link
however I am unsure what would be best location/presentation for such
an item. Does anyone have any ?professional/experienced? suggestions as
to what the best method would be?

Chris Ryan

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:02:35 +0100

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> k, so ... from what LJ states, gborg is now sync'd with -core,
> correct? so I can do a remove of it and nothing will be lost?

Note, if you move libpgtcl elsewhere, you will also have to take pgtclsh 
and pgtksh with it.  Currently, I don't see these programs in the pgtcl 
project on gborg.  Also, don't forget to move the documentation this 
time.

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:16:01 -0400 (AST)

> project on gborg.  Also, don't forget to move the documentation this

Good points, thanks ... LJ, any chance you'd be willing to 'maintain'
these on gborg?

----

---

From: L J Bayuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:47:09 -0500 (EST)

> Good points, thanks ... LJ, any chance you'd be willing to 'maintain'

Yes and no.

I do have pgtclsh and pgwish (which I renamed from pgtksh) in my project.
They build and test OK, but I moved them to an "extra" directory, labeled
them as "deprecated", and do not provide auto-configure.  Also, I won't
include support for building them on Windows.  In my opinion, it's so much
better to use dynamic package loading with Tcl, that it makes no sense to
link a specific extension into a Tcl shell anymore.  "package require
Pgtcl" is the way to go. But if anyone really needs the pg* shells, they
can edit a few lines in the Makefile and build them.

However... shortly after I created a new project on Gborg for my version of
the Tcl interface, the original Gborg pgtcl project started getting
updates. I don't know what Brett's plans are, but I'm in a quandary about
what to do. I'm very close to finishing up my version, including the new
reference manual and Windows binary release, but I've held off uploading or
releasing anything. I didn't count on forking an active project, and I
don't want to do the wrong thing. Advice?

---

From: Brett Schwarz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:32:10 -0800 (PST)

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

<snip>

> can edit a few lines in the Makefile and build them.

I agree with the above assessment about pgtclsh and
pgtksh

> updates. I don't know what Brett's plans are, but

My plans are to keep working on pgtcl. Not sure if
this answers your question or not...if  you want me to
expand upon that, then let me know.

    --brett