Subject: Short notice, but ...

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:56:08 -0400 (AST)

I'm going to shut down and upgrade the VM that www.postgresql.org is on
this weekend, to deal with several issues (namely, to clean up a mess that
is affecting Alexey's work) ...

The downtime should take <5 minutes, as it is merely a matter of unmounted
one template and mounting the newer one ... and, to date, the only issues
we've experience with clients that we've done this for have been email
related, so we don't anticipate any problems, but ... just wanted ppl to
be aware ...

Robert, if you happen to be around today/this evening, I can do it up
today and get it out of the way, just want to make sure that at least
someone acknowledges/reads this before I do it, that's all ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Feb 2004 14:41:22 -0500

ACK

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 13:56, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
> 

-- 
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:56:07 -0400 (AST)

> ACK

Why ACK?  I can hold off until Monday if it makes your life easier ... as
I said, it should be totally transparent ... none of the configs are
changing, and unless there is a software package missing on the new
template (its our standard one now, so most should already be installed),
the versions of software are all the same ...

The way the VMs are setup, in case you are not aware, is a layer of two
file systems ... the upper layer contains all of the stuff that has
changed specific to that VM (ie. httpd config files, password files, etc)
while the lower layer just contains the applications ... it is the lower
layer that I'm going to be swapping, the upper will not be touched ...

----

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Feb 2004 16:09:03 -0500

Sorry, let me be more clear....

Acknowledged 

:-)

Robert Treat

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 15:56, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to [email-masked]

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:10:32 -0400 (AST)

> Sorry, let me be more clear....

Oops, sorry, been too long since I've done radio communications ... wrong
interpretation of ACK :)

k, will do it up tonight quickly before I dive into the GForge stuff ....
most likely around 9EST ...

----