Subject: bt.postgresql.org and ftp.postgresql.org

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:59:29 -0300 (ADT)

Due to setting the netmask wrong on the IP on the new server,
bt.postgresql.org was down for a bit ... David just confirmed that he can
access the site, and that bittorrent is working from it just fine ...

I've also just pointed ftp.postgresql.org to the new server as well, with
the following changes to the ftpaccess file:

max connections is now 50 instead of 10

and throughput throttles are:

throughput      /var/spool/ftp  *                      * 524288 0.5 *

for those that don't know wuftpd, the first line states that all files are
throttled at 512k/s download, with each subsequent file being .5 of the
previous (so, file 1 @ 512k/s, file 2 at 256k/s, file 3 at 128k/s, etc)
... the idea being to prevent ppl from running 'mirror' against the
server ...

I'll be watching bandwidth to see if it  needs to be throttled back ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:07:03 -0400

"Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]> writes:
> I've also just pointed ftp.postgresql.org to the new server as well,

BTW, what impact will this have on update propagation?  In the past I've
relied on knowing that as soon as you say you've wrapped a release
tarball, I can grab it from ftp.postgresql.org.  Will that still be
true, or will there be a mirroring delay?

			regards, tom lane

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:18:50 -0300 (ADT)

> true, or will there be a mirroring delay?

For those in the know (and I'll try and remember to state this when I do
release tarballs), you'll be able to go to developer.postgresql.org and
login anonymously there as well ...

that will always be the master site, but it is heavily throttled except
for the two most recent tar balls (7.3.6 and 7.4.2 in this case) ...

beyond that, the ftp.postgresql.org site will be sync'd hourly ...

----