Subject: banner abominations

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:40:17 +0400

Hi!

Looks like we may get professional design for a new version of website, so I'd 
like to raise the question about *the* most ugly thing on current one: banners.

1) Do we need these?
2) Do we need them in such a prominent place?

I think that the banner that now serves for open-source projects' promotion 
should be replaced by some "Featured project" section, having a description and 
a link to the project. This will IMHO work a *lot* better than current home-made 
banners.

The mirror hosters' ads should be displayed on respective mirrors, just as this 
is done f.e. on http://www.php.net/

The only problem is the sponsors' banners. Does anybody actually buy these, BTW?

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:23:57 -0300 (ADT)

> like to raise the question about *the* most ugly thing on current one: banners.

yes

> 2) Do we need them in such a prominent place?

yes

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:12:42 +0400

Hi!

>>2) Do we need them in such a prominent place?

The obvious question: why? Do we just like that antique 90s look or are there 
other reasons?

---

From: Peter Eisentraut <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:44:24 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 21. April 2004 09:12 schrieb Alexey Borzov:
> The obvious question: why? Do we just like that antique 90s look or are
> there other reasons?

It's not like we're hauling in mad cash that way either.  I think there are 
better ways to acknowledge mirror providers and promote other open-source 
projects.  The commercial advertisements just have an unethical feeling about 
it unless there is some public accounting.