Subject: Status update on "new" website, testing needed

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 00:13:12 +0400

Greetings.

Well, looks like I've finished working on all the interactive parts of the 
website (i.e. forms submissions and admin part).

Admin part is accessible on
http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/admin/
Login: test
Pass: test

All the functionality of the current website is ported + (obviously) 
translations management for news/events/surveys + docs comment moderation added.

Form submits on user level work, too.

For testing purposes I've set it up to send various emails to the pgsql-www 
list, they'll have links to http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/ inside.

Please thoroughly test this and submit any bugs found.

The only big *programming* part left is static website generation, after this 
only content- and design-related issues will be left.

Have fun.

---

From: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 19:01:50 -0300

Hi Alexey,

> website (i.e. forms submissions and admin part).
Good.

> http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/admin/
I didn't like the login functionality with authenticate window. I could suggest that you implement it using a simple form. then you could handle 'sessions' more easily.

> translations management for news/events/surveys + docs comment moderation added.
Good.

> Please thoroughly test this and submit any bugs found.
Go to this URL:
http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/admin/news-translate.php?id=174&lang=ru

Could you make a mechanism to login/logoff? Maybe using 'sessions'.

Regards,

-- 
Euler Taveira de Oliveira
euler (at) ufgnet.ufg.br
Desenvolvedor Web e Administrador de Sistemas
UFGNet - Universidade Federal de Goiás

---

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 10:39:21 +0400

Hi!

> I didn't like the login functionality with authenticate window. I could suggest that you implement it using a simple form. then you could handle 'sessions' more easily.

Right now the system just uses Apache's builtin authentication mechanism, with 
.htpasswd file and does not use sessions at all (as they are not needed).

If it is redone in PHP, then you'll need to store the auth info somewhere and to 
create an interface for editing it.

The site's code is available on gborg in pgweb module. Do you volunteer? ;]

> http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/admin/news-translate.php?id=174&lang=ru

Thanks, fixed.

> Could you make a mechanism to login/logoff? Maybe using 'sessions'.

I think login already works. ;]

I'll think about logout.

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 May 2004 09:45:54 -0400

> Please thoroughly test this and submit any bugs found.

Are you interested in nit picking or should we just wait on that and/or
submit patches ourselves?  For example, I like the layout of the old
news admin interface better.... id number,date,headline,yes/no on status
info, translations,edit,delete being more boxy and filling up browser
page... obviously a minor thing but would be nice.

Another thing I was wondering about. Once an article is translated, if
someone goes back in and edits the original article, should it mark the
article as not translated?  That is how I did it on the advocacy site...
well, actually I kept track of it the item was either new (never
translated) or stale (needed updating but had been translated.)

On the doc comment interface, what is the difference between rejected
and deleted? Maybe that's not the right question... when would I want to
reject a comment and not delete it?  Also we used to be able to edit
comments on the doc page themselves which was handy to see the comment
in context, any chance we can still do that?

Oh, and one other thing, how do we add a new language? I'd like to walk
through that process if I could.

Hmm... since none of the above are bugs... go to documentation section
and click on the FAQ/PDF links, I notice they are broken. :-)  Otherwise
everything else seemed pretty functional... great job

Robert Treat
-- 
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Alexey Borzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 21:49:07 +0400

Hi!

> page... obviously a minor thing but would be nice.

This is controlled by the templates in portal/template/admin

Yes, feel free to provide patches. ;]

> translated) or stale (needed updating but had been translated.)

Oh, you are right here.

I think a timestamp is needed in the table containing texts and a trigger to 
change that on update. Then it'll be possible to check whether the master was 
modified after the translation and mark this fact.

> in context, any chance we can still do that?

Deleted comments are, um, deleted.
Rejected are marked but kept in the DB, they are obviously not shown on the site.

If you feel that it's not needed, I'll leave only the 'delete' option.

I didn't see anything for editing the comments in the current site's code, BTW.

> through that process if I could.

Manually, by adding the language to the array[s] in 
portal/system/global/languages.php

> everything else seemed pretty functional... great job

That's once again a content issue. ;]

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 May 2004 14:08:45 -0400

> modified after the translation and mark this fact.

Guess I need to look at your schema... the way it's done on advocacy is
that the translation entry isnt created for a language until the first
time an article is translated. once its created its marked "up to date",
and then if the original text is edited we mark all existing
translations "not up to date".  a UNION query grabs all non-existent and
not up to date and presents a lit for translators...  timestamps could
work, though you'd have to track it for each translation...

> If you feel that it's not needed, I'll leave only the 'delete' option.

What status are new comments put in? If they have no status, delete or
approved seems to cover it...  anyone else have an opinion on that? btw
doesnt hurt to leave reject bit for now so it would be low priority even
if we remove it. 

> I didn't see anything for editing the comments in the current site's code, BTW.

hmm... Dave dont you have some crazy bit of URL strings you pass in to
be able edit comments on a page?  or maybe it just shows the entry
number and you have to manually delete the entries? 

> portal/system/global/languages.php

OK, once that is done, how does a translator know what needs to be
translated... guess this is kind of a doc thing :-)

> That's once again a content issue. ;]

:-)

Robert Treat

---

From: "Dave Page" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 21:54:35 +0100 (BST)

> number and you have to manually delete the entries?

There is a var you can set to display the ids - I forget what it is
offhand though.
Regards, Dave