Subject: Updates to gborg site

From: David Fetter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:46:15 -0700

Kind people,

There are some things on the front page of gborg that need changing
pronto, namely the highlighting of the "pgreplication" project, which
hasn't been active in years.

Who can change it now, and can I get permission to fix it?

Thanks in advance :)

Cheers,
D
-- 
David Fetter [email-masked] http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Jun 2004 15:05:11 -0400

ISTM there should also be a note about the new projects.postgresql.org
infrastructure and we should update the main www page as well, unless
there is a reason to hold off on that?  Josh, whats the story with the
foundries performance issues?

Robert Treat

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 14:46, David Fetter wrote:
> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
> 
>                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html

-- 
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Chris Ryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 13:33:23 -0700 (PDT)

While it is within my capability to fudge the results of the Top
projects list I have not done so since the last time it was re-enabled
from the first move. Additionally while the pgreplication project
itself does not have the momentum it used to I am far from the believe
that is is an inactive project. Not to mention the fact that they have
done a good job of linking to some of the other replication based
projects that could be viewed as competitors.

    Ultimately I have no preference, except to let the system run as
inteded. I can alter the counts to bring up another project, slony1
perhaps, which would bump off the pgreplication project from the top
project list. However this wouldn't guarentee that it would stay that
way.

Chris Ryan

> Who can change it now, and can I get permission to fix it?

		
__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Friends.  Fun.  Try the all-new Yahoo! Messenger.
http://messenger.yahoo.com/

---

From: Josh Berkus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 13:40:38 -0700

Robert,

> foundries performance issues?

Apparently pgFoundry shares hardware with some hub.org sites that regularly 
get hammered.    It's a little hard for us to tell -- we just have VM access.  
But the result is that pgFoundry is very sluggish already, and we don't want 
to drag a whole bunch of GBorg projects until we get it fixed.

The secondary issue is someone to help with it; I'm going to ask Tom Copeland, 
and if he can't I'll broadcast a request.   Andrew D. is burned out and I'm 
still sick.

-- 
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions
 San Francisco

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Jun 2004 17:42:03 -0400

Do you have a list of the process involved in moving a given project? I
might be able to pitch in. (Given that I have such an extremely empty
plate.. hah!)

Robert Treat

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 16:40, Josh Berkus wrote:
> TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
>       joining column's datatypes do not match

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Jun 2004 17:43:46 -0400

I guess one would have to ask what the formula is for getting the
project into the top 5?  Surely slony has had more cvs activity going on
than pgreplicator, though I'd grant you that pgreplicator could have
more page views...

Robert Treat

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 16:33, Chris Ryan wrote:
> TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>       subscribe-nomail command to [email-masked] so that your
>       message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

---

From: Chris Ryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 17:40:01 -0700 (PDT)

The rank of a project has a direct correlation to the number of
page views a project receives over a period of time. The period of time
is from the last time the ranks were manually reset or scaled down.
This was a few months ago and I scaled the ranks.

Chris Ryan

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 10:57:25 -0300 (ADT)

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Apparently pgFoundry shares hardware with some hub.org sites that 
> regularly get hammered.

Actually, the other way around ... there are two postgresql.org VMs on 
that machine (archives and pgfoundry) ... if there is a load spike on the 
machine, and I do a ps, I usually see one (or several) of the gforge cron 
jobs running in the top 10 ... or the mhonarc stuff on archives ...

Its the same with jupiter ... when load spikes, its usually majordomo 
processes that I see in the top 10 ...

I was hoping to pick up our first Dual-AMD about 3 weeks ago, but its been 
delayed while we wait for a cheque to arrive ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 11:00:10 -0300 (ADT)

> might be able to pitch in. (Given that I have such an extremely empty

The idea is (was?) to make it as transparent as possible ... so, there is 
some database conversions that have to be made, namely for the bug 
tracking system(s), then the mailman archives and CVSROOTs have to be 
physically moved over ...

There was a script written that handled all of the backend/database stuff 
... and the physical moving of files is a simple scp from gborg -> gforge 
into the write directories ...

----

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 08 Jun 2004 11:35:58 -0400

Can we reset the stats again then? There is grumblings that the top 5 is
looking stale and I tend to agree. If it's not these projects will float
back to the top anyways.

Robert Treat

---

From: Chris Ryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:19:11 -0700 (PDT)

Robert,

    I have drastically scalled the rankings on the projects. This has
put the project more or less on even footing.

Chris Ryan

--- Robert Treat <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > > project into the top 5?  Surely slony has had more cvs activity
> going
> > > on
> > > >     While it is within my capability to fudge the results of
> the
> > > Top
> > > > that is is an inactive project. Not to mention the fact that
> they
> > > have
> > > >     Ultimately I have no preference, except to let the system
> run
> > > as
> > > > perhaps, which would bump off the pgreplication project from
> the
> > > top
> > > > project list. However this wouldn't guarentee that it would
> stay
> > > that
> > > > way.
> > > > 
> > > > Chris Ryan
> > > > 
> > > > > pronto, namely the highlighting of the "pgreplication"
> project,
> > > which
> > > >       subscribe-nomail command to [email-masked] so
> that
> > > your