Subject: pgFoundry Open For Business

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 19:59:55 -0300 (ADT)

PostgreSQL's new collaboration site for associated projects, pgFoundry,
also known as projects.postgresql.org, is up and running at
http://www.pgfoundry.org/.  This is the beginning of our transition from
our own GBorg to a framework which is maintained and improved by a broad
external community -- GForge. And of course it runs on PostgreSQL.

GForge offers us the following features over GBorg:
       -- A glossy new look
       -- Multiple search interfaces
       -- Multiple catagorizations for each project
       -- User-driven project and programmer ratings
       -- Project "job openings"
       -- ability to support project "home pages" (limited to static HTML
          right now)
       -- surveys

Right now, we are taking new projects only.  Next week, we hope to start
porting old projects from GBorg, on a strictly voluntary basis.  New
projects already on pgFoundry include plperlNG, framewerk, pathetic.org,
and my2postgres.  Your new project is welcome!

If you logged in with GBorg before April 18, 2004, your login has been
copied over from Gborg, and you can just use it.  If you are a recent
GBorg user, you will need to create a new login.

Over the next few months, we will be enabling the following features (all
of which currently have some bugs)
    -- Code Snippets:  A library to share small scripts and functions,
       like Roberto's old "PL/pgSQL Library", but supporting multiple
       languages;
    -- lightweight personal blogs for developers
    -- PostgreSQL databases for each project

So, if you've been holding on to a new project idea, please create it now!
Your new project will be accessable as <projname>.projects.postgresql.org
as well as through pgFoundry navigation.

Please contact us at [email-masked] if you can't log in or run into
other issues connecting or using the site.

pgFoundry is online due to the efforts of Andrew Dunstan, Gavin Roy, Josh
Berkus, Marc Fournier and Chris Ryan, with help from GForge's Tim Perdue.

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Christopher Kings-Lynne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 09:41:55 +0800

>     -- PostgreSQL databases for each project

Going to have phpPgAdmin running for that? :)

Chris

---

From: Rick Gigger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 13:03:14 -0600

This is a huge improvement over GBorg!  I feel much more comfortable 
with this than I ever did with GBorg.  GBorg always seemed very 
unfriendly and the crusty look and feel at first made me wonder how 
legitimate it was as a source for serious projects.  I realize now that 
it housed some great projects but I think the new GForge based site will 
be much, much better especially for people new to postgres.

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

---

From: [email-masked] (Jason E. Stewart)
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 00:06:31 +0530

Hey All,

I just tried updating code from GBorg and am getting an error:

~/work/DBD-Pg $ cvs update -Pd
can't create temporary directory /tmp/cvs-serv27393
No space left on device

Cheers,
jas.

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 20:24:27 -0300 (ADT)

this should be fixed ... had a 59G log file created in one of the VMs, as 
it wasn't properly added to the auto-rotate file :(  log file removed, and 
proper rotation added ...

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Jason E. Stewart wrote:

> TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
>      joining column's datatypes do not match
>

----