Subject: Wrong version number on bug form (again) (still)

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:55:09 -0400

The pop-up list at http://www.postgresql.org/bugform.html
offers "7.5 Dev", which probably ought to be replaced by "8.0".

Actually I wonder that we shouldn't get rid of the popup and
just make the version a text entry field.  Seems like the 
list is *always* out of date.  (It's still missing 7.4.1 and later,
for example.)  We've seen people complain about that before.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Aug 2004 17:08:03 -0400

> for example.)  We've seen people complain about that before.

I am guessing the concern is that this forces people to pick something
rather than not reporting a version at all. (Note, this isn't an
objection to the idea, I'm rather ambivalent myself)

At a minimum Marc should add a note to his release process to either
update this file or send email to webmaster to update the file. In the
mean time I have updated this with 8.0 Beta and all 7.4.x versions. 

Robert Treat
-- 
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:28:11 -0400

Robert Treat <[email-masked]> writes:
>> just make the version a text entry field.

> objection to the idea, I'm rather ambivalent myself)

That was probably the idea, but there is no guarantee that they'll pick
the right thing anyway.  And if the box doesn't *offer* the right thing
then it's actively hurting the cause.  I think on balance it's a loss.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Aug 2004 13:30:15 -0400

> then it's actively hurting the cause.  I think on balance it's a loss.

Anyone else want to weigh in before I change it to an empty text box?

Robert Treat

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:52:35 -0300 (ADT)

> Anyone else want to weigh in before I change it to an empty text box?

Only suggest, based on your thought about forcing something ... make it a 
required field ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664