Subject: Comment forms in interactive docs

From: Devrim GUNDUZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 01:17:52 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

There are comments forms interactive docs. I think we should remove them. 
Who follows the user comments in there? I'm sure, noone!

Even though there is a warning that they are not support forums, I'm 
pretty sure that there are some ppl who will request for support -- and 
won't get a support.

Comments?
--
Devrim GUNDUZ 
devrim~gunduz.org				devrim.gunduz~linux.org.tr
 			http://www.tdmsoft.com
 			http://www.gunduz.org

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 19:18:45 -0400

> Who follows the user comments in there? I'm sure, noone!

Actually, we've made a practice of scavenging for useful comments at
least once a release cycle.  There's a lot of crud in there, I agree,
but some good ideas about missing material too.  Anyway, what is your
idea of "interactive" docs if not ones that people can comment on?

> pretty sure that there are some ppl who will request for support -- and 

Yup, that happens.

			regards, tom lane

---

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 20:56:54 -0300 (ADT)

> idea of "interactive" docs if not ones that people can comment on?

I know that I tend to make extensive use of the user 'comments' when I'm 
looking at similar in the PHP docs ... you usually get some valuable 
examples that the docs are seriously lacking ...

----
Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
Email: [email-masked]           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

---

From: Robert Treat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 01:28:12 -0400

> pretty sure that there are some ppl who will request for support -- and

FWIW I believe we have some better tools for pruning the idocs in the new 
website code... 

-- 
Robert Treat
Build A Brighter Lamp :: Linux Apache {middleware} PostgreSQL

---

From: Devrim GUNDUZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 08:36:41 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

> idea of "interactive" docs if not ones that people can comment on?

IMHO, the difference between static and interactive docs 'should' be that 
interactive one is searchable.

Anyway, I don't like forums, I prefer mailing lists but if we could set up 
a forum, ppl who are not a member of MLs would be a member of it -- since 
they would just read the messages they want.

Regards,
- --
Devrim GUNDUZ

---

From: Devrim GUNDUZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 08:39:44 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> looking at similar in the PHP docs ... you usually get some valuable examples 
> that the docs are seriously lacking ...

I don't think(and see) that our interactive docs are the same as PHP docs: 
PHP ones have more users. How many valuable examples have you seen in our 
docs?

Not that much (oh, maybe no...)

- --
Devrim GUNDUZ

---

From: Devrim GUNDUZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 08:46:04 +0300 (EEST)

Hi,

> FWIW I believe we have some better tools for pruning the idocs in the new

Agreed. Recalling Marc's comments on my e-mail: The docs page of PHP is 
very attractive to a user : The page is colorful (:-) Yes, it's 
attractive... )  and people can see many examples over there.

Look: http://tr2.php.net/manual/en/function.pg-connect.php (Hey Robert, 
I've seen you there :) ) It's more than a pg_connect manual; one can learn 
many things by reading that page...

...that's what we are lacking in our interactive docs.

Regards,